mtbr member
    Feb 2007

WH-MT75 spare spokes?

Anyone know where I can pick up some spare spokes for the WH-MT75 wheelset (29er), in the US preferably? I picked up some XTR spare spokes a while ago from petracycles in UK but they're out of the right hand side ones at the moment.

Part Numbers:
    Y-4F2 98040 - right hand spoke
    Y-4F2 98030 - left hand spoke
    Y-4CK 89000 - hub nut

Thanks!

HAHA PWN
    Try Bikeparts.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks, sent them an email.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So I didn't hear back from bikeparts.com, too slow for my tastes. But petracycles.co.uk replied within a few minutes saying they were available and can be dispatched as early as Thursday.

On a side note, the price is ridiculous for these spokes. I'm sure there are more expensive wheelset spokes and I completely knew what I was getting into with a boutique set but come on Shimano. These aren't Ti or Carbon, have a heart!

NardoSS
    I'd love a pair, but is EACH spoke really $6 to replace?!?!?!

ups and downs
    That includes the spoke and the threaded plug for the rim, when you consider DT Swiss triple butted spokes are about $2/ea, that's not that bad, certainly not as bad as Mavic SLR spokes at $30 each.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

NardoSS
    True, not bad relative to SLR spokes, but you can't compare DT Swiss triple butted to shmano double XT level spokes.

My only concern is not being able to buy spokes in a few years for it.

Also, can one run non-tubeless tires with this withOUT a rim strip?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Each spoke is more like $6.75 and it doesn't include the nut for the hub; that's an extra $2. After shipping and handling and UK to US PayPal conversions I paid around $10 per spoke and a hub nut. Still waiting on one spoke from PetraCycles as they're out of stock on it.

I have three Shimano wheelsets: XT 29er, XTR 26 and XT 26. I don't run any of them tubeless. I run them without the rim strip as it's not necessary. The only reason a rim strip is used on other wheelsets is because the tube would lodge into the nipple holes and rub/cut itself open. There are no holes to worry about here.

I love the straight pull hubs. I bought a pair of the Easton XC Two 29er straight pull and the're OK. At the time it was cheaper than the XT 29 and they had straight pull. To me, the XC Two feels much more flexible than the XT set.

In the end, proprietary wheelsets SUCK. They ride, look and feel good but when you break a spoke you wonder how you're paying $60 for 6 spokes when you can get two new wheels for $350 shipped. And even when you're willing to pay $10/spoke you still have to find them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Each spoke is more like $6.75 and it doesn't include the nut for the hub; that's an extra $2. After shipping and handling and UK to US PayPal conversions I paid around $10 per spoke and a hub nut. Still waiting on one spoke from PetraCycles as they're out of stock on it.

I have three Shimano wheelsets: XT 29er, XTR 26 and XT 26. I don't run any of them tubeless. I run them without the rim strip as it's not necessary. The only reason a rim strip is used on other wheelsets is because the tube would lodge into the nipple holes and rub/cut itself open. There are no holes to worry about here.

I love the straight pull hubs. I bought a pair of the Easton XC Two 29er straight pull and the're OK. At the time it was cheaper than the XT 29 and they had straight pull. To me, the XC Two feels much more flexible than the XT set.

In the end, proprietary wheelsets SUCK. They ride, look and feel good but when you break a spoke you wonder how you're paying $60 for 6 spokes when you can get two new wheels for $350 shipped. And even when you're willing to pay $10/spoke you still have to find them.
    how did you brake the spokes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    how did you brake the spokes?
    I didn't actually break it. I bent it by jamming the rear derailleur and a stick into the wheel. Not on purpose.