(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Welcome to the New Shimano Forum!

By popular demand, we've launched this new forum.

Please discuss Shimano specific topics here.

Also, be sure to check out the:

Shimano Interbike Virtual Tradeshow Booth

And the:

Shimano Road Interbike Virtual Tradeshow Booth

Thanks,

-g

I <3 29ers
    Thanks Gregg!!!!!

This is a great way to stop having that same question popping up over and over again.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Well, gotta say it's about time. Thanks for the new forum!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    And isn’t it a busy forum so far!

Now where’s the (insert obscure MTB drive train manufacturer here) board?

Dave.

mtbr member
    Finally!
    Thanks Mod

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Awesome!

TranceX Rider
    Way to go! Yeah, it's about time!

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    Way to go! Yeah, it's about time!

Word. I love my ultralight Shimano fishing gear too! Long Live the Bullwhip!
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

banned
    What's a "Shimano"? Is that right...? "S h i m a n o"...? Am I saying that right? It must be that Japanese killer whale...

Must be a pretty popular whale.

Exploreur de Citée
    I been wondering for one forum for these kinds of item... I mean there's one for SRAM, there should be one for Shimano too.

Thanks Gregg.
    D.Xenotime

Proud to be one of this green community...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Shimano deore shifters not working well

I have two bikes with Deore shifters
    1) a beat up haro extreme 1 (2003) with Shimano shifters that work perfectly - grab one gear at a time with a positive audible click.
    2) a brand new (stored in a fellow's garage for 5 years) 2001 GT 4.0 with Deore shifters that won't rachet back to a ready position without lightly flicking the levers. They give no feel or sound that I have shifted. When I grab a gear to pull up the far side of a wash, I grab two or more. Have a neighbor that told me these Deores are are trash, always have been and I should get SRAMs. But I really like my 2003 Deore shifters (on the Haro). Would like good reliable shifters that click one gear at a time - if I want two gears, I'll click twice.

A - are these shifters repairable or are they trash. (Or ARE THEY NOT BROKEN AND ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED TO DO.
    B - If I am to buy new ones - which ones are simple, direct, and suitable for an older beginner that wants a minimum of moving decisions in his equipment. (I am a reasonably skilled auto, airplane, and was a good bike mechanic at 15 (fifty years ago) so can follow instructions and schematics if you know a source.
    C - Is there printed material that discribes function, malfunctions, anmd failure modes of Shimano DEORE shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy
    I have two bikes with Deore shifters
    1) a beat up haro extreme 1 (2003) with Shimano shifters that work perfectly - grab one gear at a time with a positive audible click.
    2) a brand new (stored in a fellow's garage for 5 years) 2001 GT 4.0 with Deore shifters that won't rachet back to a ready position without lightly flicking the levers. They give no feel or sound that I have shifted. When I grab a gear to pull up the far side of a wash, I grab two or more. Have a neighbor that told me these Deores are are trash, always have been and I should get SRAMs. But I really like my 2003 Deore shifters (on the Haro). Would like good reliable shifters that click one gear at a time - if I want two gears, I'll click twice.

A - are these shifters repairable or are they trash. (Or ARE THEY NOT BROKEN AND ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED TO DO.
    B - If I am to buy new ones - which ones are simple, direct, and suitable for an older beginner that wants a minimum of moving decisions in his equipment. (I am a reasonably skilled auto, airplane, and was a good bike mechanic at 15 (fifty years ago) so can follow instructions and schematics if you know a source.
    C - Is there printed material that discribes function, malfunctions, anmd failure modes of Shimano DEORE shifters?
    I would remove the covers, clean, and lubricate with light oil, if that doesn't do it, they might be toast.

Regarding the "two gears at a time" all rapidfires switch two gears on the thumb lever (only the new xtr do it on both), but you will need to learn to shift one gear at a time with your thumb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the shifter advice. Removed the covers soaked the rear shifter in a jar of gas. Found the white nylon insert (seems only to govern the location of the indicator?) was riding the small vertical pin (the one wrapped by a tiny coil spring and retained by a tiny circlip). I peeled the interfering edge with an exacto knife, sanded it with an emery board, oiled the shifter with Remington Gun Oil, and reassembled it.

It works just like the Haro now. Heavy click when shifted. I discovered the Haro does shift multiple sprockets to lower gears just like the GT. Makes sense since they are both Deores. I was just pushing the Haro until it clicked and was getting no click with the GT (such is your pain when dealing with beginners - bet you are just shaking your head.)

Here is the real thanks though. I made it up the back side of the ravines on every one on the 4.7 mile part of Desert Classic Trail in Phoenix for the first time in several months of riding. The only variable was that I could manage my gear changes gear on my slightly better GT. So your advice really added to my desert fun. It isn't bad being the slowest rider on the trail. It was a bit frustrating to bail off to walk up the top 1/3 of 4 seperate washs.

Sweet! Glad I could help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Broken Rear shimano deore shifter

My rear shifter randomly stopped working, there is no flex in the shifter levers, it is jsut like they have locked up. any advice on fixing this problem? or is it just time to purchase a new shifter?

I have had them gum up before but they would still flex, now they won't even budge....Suggestions???

Religion = Non-thinking
    is there a hired Specialized Representative in this forum?
    RH SL Pro