Mar 2006

Want to regrease pedals

I have a pair of Shimano M646 pedals that are about 7 years old. I'd like to take them apart to re-grease the bearings, but I'm not sure how to start. I see that there is a notch for the end-cap on one side and a splined piece on the inside near the spindle.

I don't want to start taking things apart the wrong way and risk breaking something. The manual doesn't explain how to rebuild them or grease them.

So, what's the process?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mar 2006
    Thanks for the links.

I had been googling "regrease shimano pedal" and all combinations thereof but never thought to use the word "overhaul" which apparently is key.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    After reading the ride monkey site, I would add a shimano uber propriatary pedal wrench (gray plastic splined rotation tool) to the list of tools needed. They guy in the link used an adjustable wrench apparently, but that could gauge the plastic sleeve if you aren't careful. The tool's MSRP is around $4, but your LBS will probably overcharge you, asking for $10 (Bike _ _ _rce in Denver).

Mar 2006
    I did it this afternoon just using a pair of channel locks.

They did scuff up the plastic splines a little but the piece is actually quite long so it didn't really damage anything.

Of course these things are 7 years old and the grease inside still looked new, so I just packed some more in and re-assembled.

All in all, I would definitely recommend just getting the pedal tool. Nothing like the right tool for the job.