mtbr member

Use 9spd cranks/FD for Shimano 2x10?

I am using SLX cranks with 22/32 9spd chainrings and an XT 9spd FD (all the rest is 9spd too but thats what I want to change). My question is, can I order a 10spd chain, cassette, RD, and both 10spd shifters(probably all XT), and use those with my 9spd cranks/chainrings/FD?
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    from what I gathered you can use 10 speed cranks and run 9 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette.
    but you can not do the other way around - I was told.

never tried it myself - any of those two options.

mtbr member
    I thought I read about a few people doing this, I jut can't find the thread!

mtbr member
    why don't you try and ask people in your LBS? I'm pretty sure they will know what you can and/or can't do.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I've found the local shops to be less than helpful in the past... Often times giving incorrect information. I like the online forums, usually get a lot more answers and even if they vary, you can usually piece together some great info.

mtbr member
    I asked the guy who gave me the info I shared with you in my first post. he told me you CAN use 10 spd chainrings on 9 spd chain but NOT vice versa. and that if you have 10 spd chain you HAVE to have 10 spd cassette.

my advice is you get only 10 spd chaingrings for you current 9 spd cranks, as both 9 and 10 spd chainrings have same BSD's. don't know if you'll have issues regarding spacing for crank chainrings regarding working with 9 spd FD. but I think you CAN use 9 spd FD if you use screws for cranks you used for 9 spd chainrings, to keep the same spacing between 10 spd chainrings as they were on 9 spd chaingrings.

hope this make sense...

mtbr member
    Yah it does, thats kind of the way I was thinking of going too with the 10spd chainrings. thanks!

mtbr member
    no problem buddy..
    post your experience with the drivetrain when you finish the build.

you're probably gonna love it