mtbr member

Thanks to Shimano!!

A quick shout out to Shimano for replacing my XTR pedals when my bike shop (ex bike shop) refused to submit a warranty claim. I then went to Shimano directly and they took care of me with a brand new pair. And this was the 2nd time within the last 6 months.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How lengthy was the process dealing directly with Shimano? Good to hear they took care of you! Shame on the LBS (obviously not knowing the back story), what was their problem with helping you out? Did you not buy the pedals from them?

mtbr member

It took about two weeks all up to get my pedal back...

but the first time it was less than a week. The LBS suggested that i had used the wrong tool on the pedal (8 mm wrench) which caused the hex nut on the pedal to fracture. I do admit not putting grease on the pedal when I first installed them but I used the proper wrench but just could not break one of the pedals free. When I did, I noticed the fracture on the hex nut. I did not buy the pedals from them but had giving them close to $1000 in repairs and parts business.

mtbr member
    Good news!
    I'm glad that Shimano took care of the issue.Their pedals have the reputation for bein almost eternal,however,seems that some axles are defective.When servicing my previous 540's,the axle broke when tightening the little 8mm hex nut,and with little strength from the wrench.But after that I went for the XTR,and sooooo happy with them.
    And I still have a pair of 525's that I bought in 1994,still working in a friend's bike.Just a little play due to axle wear in one of the pedals,but not bad for them at 16years old...

mtbr member
    Many people do not realize the lengths Shimano goes to back up their product. I sent back some XT brakes last year due to bad performance. They sent back new calipers and levers! No questions asked.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

HAHA PWN
    I like how you can deal directly with Shimano...unlike SRAM....Love products from both companies, but sometime dealing with a LBS can be a pain in the behind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhom
    I like how you can deal directly with Shimano...unlike SRAM....Love products from both companies, but sometime dealing with a LBS can be a pain in the behind.
    Need a better LBS.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.