Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SLX, XTR, XT brakes input from fellow riders.

Would like to upgrade my brakes from Juicy5s. On a 29er that sees a maximum of trail style riding. So I held onto these Juicys for forever. I was planning on SLXs, but in your experiences, would it be worth the extra coin for XTs or XTRs? Would they match or beat the longevity of the Avids? Is the modulation knob on the XTRs better than the SLX? Are they better for a long-ish decent or will I not notice? Will they work with the XX rotors I have already? Should I also splurge on the Ice-Tech rotors? Is the weight savings enough to justify the cost? A better ride is what I am after, I'll live off ramen for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have XTR's and love em. Easy set up, powerful, and they modulate awesome. I think that XT and SLX are going to be pretty much the same, just weigh more. I am assuming that the modulation knob is going to have the same effect on all of the brakes. You can't go wrong with any of the three.

Yes, get the rotors for the brakes you are gonna get. Yes there are some rotors/calipers from different companies that have a degree of interchangeability, but seriously, why bother? Just get the lightest Ice Tech's you can justify spending the money on, and be stoked.

mtbr member
    My XT's are great and quite, using the RT86's as well 180/160 and no issues except great stopping power and the ability to feather them when needed.

Enjoy,

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Competent User

I've got SLX and I've ridden XT. There's no discernible difference. There's a free stroke adjustment on the XT that no one has ever used. After that, you're paying for minimal weight savings at a big premium.

I love my brakes, specially coming from Elixir 3 honkers.

mtbr member

+1 on the SLX. 180/160 at 230lbs riding weight. They do what I ask and never make a sound.

Sent from a cliche device from a cliche location...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I've got SLX and I've ridden XT. There's no discernible difference. There's a free stroke adjustment on the XT that no one has ever used. After that, you're paying for minimal weight savings at a big premium.

I love my brakes, specially coming from Elixir 3 honkers.
    Actually, I used the free stroke adjustment when I set my brakes up. Actually helped a bit. However, SLX brakes, at $40 cheaper per wheel than XT are an unbeatable deal.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Competent User

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Actually, I used the free stroke adjustment when I set my brakes up. Actually helped a bit. However, SLX brakes, at $40 cheaper per wheel than XT are an unbeatable deal.
    Quiet you! ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I switched from Elixir CR to XT brakes, and I love the XT brakes. However, the free-stroke adjustment doesn't seem to do much. I don't think you could tell the difference with the SLX brakes, which are probably the best deal for the money.

mtbr member
    The free stroke adjustment is awesome. I upgraded from Zee to Saint for that reason. If there's even a possibility that you will be tweaking out over your brakes, get xt.

There's always next year.
    I love my XTs. Great power, run drag free all the time. They are night and day better than all the Avid brakes I've run. If you've got money to burn, XTRs. If money's tight, SLX.

Ice-Techs are heavier than other rotors, but I believe they're worth it--all the more if you've got big mountains you regularly ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I upgraded the Avid Elixir R to SLX and it is the best thing I've done to my Specialized Epic 2011. The SLX is very powerfull , excellent modulation and it works with Avid Rotors. More than 3000 miles ridden and "zero" problems. I highly recommend it and SLX is the best for cost/benefit .

mtbr member

I have XT"s and SLX's. They are, as others have mentioned, excellent brakes and fundamentally the same animal.
    If I were buying brakes new, I'd go SLX, and I'd keep my old rotors.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Had a pair of XT's and currently two pair of XTR Trail. I love them. There is no reason to own anything but Shimano for the money...Whether that means SLX, XT, or XTR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: SLX, XTR, XT brakes input from fellow riders.

Besides the color, I can't tell any functional difference between xt and slx. The xtr's have a nicer lever. All of them work great. I lust after the xtrs, but given I'm relatively cheap and usually ride with full fingers gloves, I have slx and xt brakes on the bikes at my house...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think the slx have a cast lever and the xt a forged lever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    [QUOTE=Bruski;10417743]+1 on the SLX. 180/160 at 230lbs riding weight. They do what I ask and never make a sound.

Wish I had a wife like that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got XTs on both my bikes and they are great , no gripes whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've got a set of take-off wheels from a 2013 Kona Satori and they came with SLX centre lock rotors (160/180). Can I use ANY of the following calipers with these rotors? SLX, XT, or XTR?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XT here, replacing squealing Elixir 1s on my X-Cal. Looked at the SLX, but decided to spend extra since I was so unhappy with the Elixirs. Did keep the Avid rotors for now, however. Great, great brakes; I love them. Opinion says is have been just as happy with SLX, though, and saved some dosh.

mtbr member
    Was using juicy 3's on old bike ,upgraded to XT's with ice tech 180/160.
    First time I rode it I practically spat myself over the bars..lol
    So I would recommend them.!!
    I chose XT's over the SLX only because got good deal on them.

mtbr member
    I have been using XTR Trail for 9 months (coming from Magura SL). Great stopping power (even at 160/160), true 1 finger action, and modulation is fantastic. Lever adjustment is at a finger tip, free stroke adjustment a bit hard to judge, great bar clamp.

I bought front and rear on sale for $360 and to save a bit I got Avid HS1 160mm rotors for dimes on e-bay. With my weight (160) and riding style I see no reason to use a 180 front.

No experience with XT and SLX, but they are both considered great brakes and bargain price (Gee ... you can get a SLX set for $150!!!! )

mtbr member
    Save a ton of money and get the new deore brakes. The have the same lever feel, geometry and power as my xt's. They don't have the adjustable banjo at the caliper so they don't play great with sharp bends for cable routing near the caliper.
    That being said, my xt's are really really nice. I'm running them with 180 ice techs. The set is two years old, just bled for the first time and they've been perfect. Swiss stop makes a nice inexpensive replacement pad. Can't tell the difference between them and the finned pads.
    Here's a pack of matches, go play in the street

mtbr member

I have XTR trails and my son has SLX and both are fantastic!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

On xtr race for the past 4 years , still trying to find fault with it :

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have all 3. I'd get XT or SLX depending on the price you can find them for (sometimes you can find XT for about the same as SLX). The XTRs are great, but I honestly can't tell much if any difference in performance, so not worth the price premium (like most XTR components IMHO).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast