Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have had a set of elixer 5's and replaced them with a set of slightly used slx for my older fuel. A much better brake. My next bike had slx stock with standard shimano rotors. I considered a set of ice tech pads but ended up selling the fuel 29 for a niner rip that comes stock with xt and ice tech pads/rotors. I did demo a niner with xo brakes and IMO did not have near the feel or modulation of the xt. You can't go wrong with slx or xt. Buy what ever is cheaper. If you still cannot decide pick between the matte silver or chrome top cap. Shimano brakes are a must have.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just replaced Elixir 3s with XTs M785. Very easy to install and trim the hose. Did not bleed yet as I do not see the need right now. Very adjustable lever and love the shape. As for braking...very powerful and predictive. If you have the money...

mtbr member
    I put slx on mine. They're fantastic brakes for the money, but they got even better when I put on the ice-tech rotors.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm trying to decide between xt's and xtr trails will be using ice tech rotors. Is it worth the extra money to get the xtr's?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nope. At least not in my opinion. I have all three, and to be honest I can't tell the difference in performance. In fact, the SLXs are actually feeling the best right now. The XTRs look the nicest, but that's not worth the premium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have xt's and like them but if the xtr's are better I was going to get them. So xt's it is then thanks for the input.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Just went from Elixer CR's to Shimano XT's with Ice Tech Rotors. 203 front, 180 rear. I never thought brakes could make me faster but these did. Insane brake control. Superb product!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Nope. At least not in my opinion. I have all three, and to be honest I can't tell the difference in performance. In fact, the SLXs are actually feeling the best right now. The XTRs look the nicest, but that's not worth the premium.
    I agree , my personal opinion is that the XT's are just right in spec and price.
    I do try..!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I installed XT's after blowing out a set of rather new Elixir 5's. Why did I not go to Shimano sooner!?

mtbr member
    I have M615 brakes that came stock on my crave pro and love the way they feel.

would there be any benefit or noticeable difference to go to SLX or XT over the M615's?

mtbr member
    I ran m615s on my 29er, then sold it and got a fatbike with SLX. The SLX might have a tad more power, but it is really close. I think the M615 modulate better and are less on/off feeling that the SLX/XT.
    I ran XT on my trail bike for a bit and I dont think there is any difference between the SLX and XT.
    Currently I'm running Zee on my trail bike, and they modulate much better than the SLX/XT, and overall power is a tad stronger. They actually feel similar to the m615, but with more power.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

SLX, XTR, XT brakes input from fellow riders.

Maybe a good thing is to keep my m615s but just upgrade to 203/180 rotors instead of my 180/160 rotors that are stock. Might as well get ice tech rotors and pads with my m615s and I'd be good to go huh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2