mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SLX/XT/Saint/XTR....what series for me??

i posted a similar post over in the SRAM forum, but also considering Shimano...

i do 90% XC, with no plans to do any organized racing. i definitly have some steep hills around here though. i ride daily, 20 miles or so, plus my weekend adventures. so that's about 140 miles a week/600ish a month.

what series should i be buying for this type of use? SLX? SLX w/dyna sys? Deore XT? Deore XT w/dyna sys? Saint? XTR ?? TIA

what is dyna-sys btw??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    k well i found all the vids about the dyna-sys. looks pretty slick

mtbr member
    I like SLX as good value for the money. Go XT for a nice bump if you're flush with cash. IMHO, XTR is way over the top and just not worth it. Saint is for downhill, tends to be spending, and I don't have any real experience w/it.

mtbr member
    I have fallen in love with the SLX group. Years ago I had a Rocky Mountain with a full DX group and it was a total work horse, SLX is the DX of 92'. Back then XT was the XTR level of today. I have owned two bikes with Saint cranks and shifters and they work well for big hit stuff. I have been running an SLX crank, E type front derailleur and brakes and for the money they are flawless. They do their job so well you are allowed forget about the parts and ride. My old Avid breaks made so much noise at times I was constantly trying new rotors to get rid of the worble. Finally I gave up. I say go SLX, save a few bucks and enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you've got the cash go with XTR, it IS worth it. If your on more of a budget go with the new 2012 XT group, which is pretty much XTR with a little less polish and a little more weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You don't have to buy an entire group... you can break it up (at least on the 9 speed stuff I have 0 experience with the 10 speed groups) to get the most bang for your buck.

example:
    SLX for cranks & rear cassette. (you are going to beat the crap out of your cranks so why spend a lot of $ on them)
    XT for front der (great shifting yet light and fairly cheap)
    XT or XTR for rear der
    XT or higher for shifters and chain.

I believe the main difference in the groups is how much they weigh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've got slx crank, xt cassette, x.0 shifters and rear mech and xt front mech. Again slx crank because you'll go through them x.0 shifters and rear mechs as I think you can't beat them but the xt cassette is very similar to the slx cassette so either again because you'll go through them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    SLX, XT and XTR are all great. As your go up each level, you get better materials (i.e. metal replaces plastic parts and bearings replace bushings), lighter weight and a better feel. SLX works great, but if you ever try XTR, it will just feel amazingly smooth and precise. Once you have tried XTR you will never want to go back. So if you don't have the cash for XTR, do not ride a bike with it because you will want it.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    This is how I see it between Shimano and Sram:

SLX = X7
    XT = X9
    XTR = X0

I have both XTR and SLX on two different bikes.
    SLX on my hardtail and XTR on my full suspension.
    They are both great.
    For your discription I would say XT or the Sram X9 if you live in a really humid and muddy area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masterlucasdude View Post
    This is how I see it between Shimano and Sram:

SLX = X7
    XT = X9
    XTR = X0

I have both XTR and SLX on two different bikes.
    SLX on my hardtail and XTR on my full suspension.
    They are both great.
    For your discription I would say XT or the Sram X9 if you live in a really humid and muddy area.
    what shimano group would compare to xx ? xtr as well ?

Beer Please!
    I have had this discussion a few times with friends, and they seem to think I should not bother with SLX at all, just stick to XT for everything.

I have a 2002 Enduro Pro, and it came with an XTR rear Derailleur. Well, that thing is starting to give me problems so I figured after 9 years it might be time to replace it. Weight is not an issue for me at all, so I am only looking at functional differences and durability. My wifes bike has a Deore LX derailleur and that thing seems to work great, never had any issues with it. Is it worth spending the money on the XT vs the SLX or Deore stuff?

I use my Enduro for everything, I took her to Mammoth 2 weeks ago and did Black Diamond Downhill runs, and on Saturday I took her on a 10 mile XC ride in Calavera.

From my experience the XTR has always been a bit finicky needing adjustments every 100 miles or so, but that might just be par for the course, I am obviously not an expert at drivetrain stuff.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Based upon my experience - SLX - crank. XT - brakes, shifters, front der, cassett. XTR - rear der. Best bang for the buck.