mtbr member
    Jul 2008

SLX M660 or M665 for double with 32T Ring

I'm trying to set-up a bike for my Fiance'. She rarely uses the big ring therefore it's going to be a double crankset. The M665 SLX would be a no-brainer but the 36T is going to be too tall for her. I'm trying to eliminate front shifts as they give her trouble except for when she has to. So I want to run a 32T ring. Which is the better route to go? Purchase the triple which has the 32T and buy the bashguard and bolt kit or by the double and replace the 36T with a 32T? The price is within a probably $10 either way. Are the two cranks different in anyway. I've heard rumors that the double is heavier and may have steel pedal inserts. Is this true? Finally will this crank set-up play nice set-up eight speed? Is there enough clearance for an eight speed chain or do I need a nine speed chain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What's a BBG? Sorry I run 2x10 on my bike so I'm new to the whole bashguard thing. The price of the 32T is about $30. The price of the SLX bashguard + bolt kit is about $40. So the price difference is almost moot.

29 some of the time...
    The double specific SLX derailleurs are IMO the way to go. I have a M667(high clamp dual specific) on my Paradox and it matches up nicely to a 32t bash guard. The derailleur cage sits much closer than a 3-ring and also doesn't drag near as easy if you are cross geared. Next time I see a good deal on the M665 I am gonna grab one for the Heckler
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

29 some of the time...
    Picture, not the best but it does give an idea of how the cage nests up to the smaller bash.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.