mtbr member
    Aug 2005

SLX FD-M665 Any problems setting up on a 22-32 crank-set?

Has anyone used this new double ring only front derailleur with a 22-33 chainring set-up?

The reason I ask, is the set-up instructions are pretty specific for a double chainwheel 22-36 rings with a 165mm bashguard only, and I know if you set-up a front derailleur too high or low you can get a limited side-to-side chainline, and lot's of rubbing.

So will a 22-32 be out of this derailleurs "sweet-spot?"

What I'd like to do is run the lighter triple SLX crank, 22-32 with an e13 turbochager and this front derailleur.

ups and downs
    No problem on my bike, I'm running 22/32 and 36T max RF bash.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^ cool, good to know.
    Do you have full use of all the rear cogs with the 32 ring and no rubbing?

On my current set-up - an older hollow-tech XT crankset, and same generation XT triple FD
    I start to get slight rubbing on the 5th cassette ratio, and it gets worse as I go down the cassette (towards the 11 tooth.)

ups and downs
    If you use Shimano chain, it's slightly narrower than SRAM chain so more rub resistant. The rear cage of the 2 ring specific FD seems slightly wider to reduce rub potential.

You can get to the whole cassette from the middle ring and you can get to the lowest 5 gears from the granny, but that's as far as you should cross chain anyway.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have been running that setup for months now and work wonderfully. I have an LX crank on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine ran fine on a 22,32 so it shouldnt be any problem.

fan of maple syrup
    Was just about to post a similar question when I found this.

So am I correct in assuming that this derailleur - the 665 Top Swing, and the 667 Down Swing - can run anything from 22-32 to 22-36? And I'm assuming that any of the current front shifters work fine, and you just only use 2 of the positions yeah?

I wonder if Shimano will release 2-ring specific FD's in XT or XTR?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yup, the derailleur looks to be optimized for a "granny" ring and a middle ring.
    Set up the front derailleur to shift between the 1st (granny) and 2nd (middle) rings.
    The high limit screw won't allow the shifter to shift to the 3rd (big ring) position.

I've got one, but don't have my frame yet... so it's not installed.

Awkward1
    Apr 2011

Update on installation issues

I've tried to install this on 2 bikes, a hardtail and a dual suspension - looking for a solution which works better than a conventional triple front deraileur when just running 2 x 9 or 2x10 combos on a triple crank (leaving the big ring off since I don't use it much anyway).
    Learning;
    Read the instructions! The deraileur is really designed for a double crank not triple - chainline issue and consequent chain rub, hard shifting.
    - chainline is narrower/less than the range for a triple - 46mm for this deraileur vs. 48-50 range for a triple.
    Bottom line, it really does seem to be a double crank only option.
    Last edited by awkward1; 05-16-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Inaccurate - won't work well on triple crank - just double