mtbr member
    Feb 2011

SL-M980 Issues this weekend

I have had my I-Spec version of the SL-M980 shifter for 2 months now.

Yesterday on the trail my 10 speed shifter started to hang up.
    Dropped off the trail, got home investigated the issue.
    Come to find out my cable got pinched between the cable guide section and the Pawl rachets section. I cleaned and re-lubed the internals but alas after a few shifts same issue. Cable change no help.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    Ideas why this could happen?

Kinda bummed not many miles on these shifters at all.
    I have ordered a new Shifter. I want to get back on the trail. I figured a RMA would take too long and this wasy I can do it at my leasure.

Thanks

g3h6o3
    Did you change the housing? From your description it sounds like bad housing causing too much friction.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

ups and downs
    Shimano has had problems with the grease getting gummed up and thick causing the 9 speed XTR shifters to miss pulling a gear (lever pushes to the limit with no clicky happening). It could be the same sort of thing causing some of the ratchet to fail to operate.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No original housing on the I-Spec. I Kinda thnk my cable routing / friction may be a cause. I Have a 2010 Rip 9. I was passing the shift cable from the left to the right and maybe pinching the cable a bit ... maybe I am just guessing at this point.

As far as the grease I have cleaned that thing out a second time. Ran new cables/housing and rerouted my right cableing... still the same thing after 10- 20 shifts. Cable is getting jammed. I ordered a new shifter then I will RMA keep 2 around just incase i have this happen again.

Real bummed have not been able to ride for since sunday.

Than ks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Same here. Any word on this issue? Exact same problem in my case. Pinched between those 2 parts. Seems like the 2 parts move together through the whole range of shifting anyway. I'll try and get some pics later. Maybe contact Shimano.

My housing is good, there's little resistance in the cable movement. Other then when it jams, it works perfect, smooth and little shifting effort required. Tried cleaning between the plates, but it's clean.
    Last edited by pinkston32; 09-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Since I got mine on Ebay. I had to order a new shifter then did a warranty replacement on the old one. No issues since. I did some cable re-routing to reduce friction.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Mine are second hand as well. Good suggestion, I could probably find another right shifter and replace just my own (since mine's just a right shifter). But I'd probably lose some money, unless I can find an official retailer with a dirt cheap m980 right shifter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is were I bought mine from

Universal Cycles -- Shimano SL-M980 XTR Single Shifters - 10 Speed

Good luck man

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Or another option: Buy a set from a store like Performance, RMA the whole set together to Shimano, get a new set, and return the set to Performance in brand new condition. I'll see what I end up doing. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    hehe I decided to hold on to my replacement "JUST IN CASE" it happened again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm having the same issue as well, except mine are with the XTR M980 shifters. It looks like they're having issues with their 10spd shifter range.

Have you tried loosening the tension on the cable (from where it attaches to the derailleur?). I'm thinking there is too much tension, causing the cable to get pulled out of the cable guide and into the ratchet pawl.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The anchor bolt? That holds the cable to the derailleur? That exactly zero effect on the tension of the cable, it just holds the cable to the derailleur.
    I suppose you could change the adjustment of the cable, but that won't do anything but throw shifting off. And not decrease tension at all, really.

Also, everyone in this thread is having issues with the specific shifter (that you mentioned): the Shimano XTR M980 shifters. It's not their whole range (AFAIK, unless someone chimes in with an XT or SLX; haven't read anything on it).

There is no way the cable should have anywhere near enough tension to jam up the shifter. In other words, if it shifts decently at all, the tension isn't really an issue.

Lastly, it's not getting pulled out of the cable guide at all. It's getting pulled into it, jamming between two plates that make the cable guide (ratchet pawls and top half of cable guide.

For anyone else with this issue, check this x-posted thread.
    Shimano XTR M980 Shifter Cable Jamming