mtbr member

SL-M970 Shifters?

I'm on the fence when it comes to drivetrains. i've always used Shimano, might jump ship to the SRAM. The X.0 stuff looks so nice and i love the thumb/thumb action.

anyone use the 07 Shifters, and have pics they are willing to post? i haven't seen any in person....any pics would be appreciated. all i can really find are pics of standalone and uninstalled shifters.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    I'm on the fence when it comes to drivetrains. i've always used Shimano, might jump ship to the SRAM. The X.0 stuff looks so nice and i love the thumb/thumb action.

anyone use the 07 Shifters, and have pics they are willing to post? i haven't seen any in person....any pics would be appreciated. all i can really find are pics of standalone and uninstalled shifters.
    got , they work great, instant shifting, up or down multiple gears, very adjustable
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    got , they work great, instant shifting, up or down multiple gears, very adjustable

i think you just sold me on them. the setup looks well accessible with thumbs. thanks dan0! i justhope it holds up as well as the sram shifters!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I love mine and have fitted them to both my bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm running the new DCL's and while I've only had one ride the thing that initially impesses me is the clean look you get when looking down at the bar, no ugly pod thing going on. The throw to change gears seemed longish but I haven't been on a bike for 6 weeks so that might have something to do with it. Time will tell.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    Dan0,

so i just got them today while playing hooky from work, and they are really nice! i got them for $150 on ebay and so far i'm very satisfied. the shipment included the shifters and a bunch of precut cables with the trick black shimano ferrules-i'll bet these won't ever creak!

the reach/handlebar adjustability is far better than X.0. and the leverage for grabbing larger cogs/chainrings is great. very well thought out design, and the index finger shifting is really an improvement over the earlier RP.

only issue is the shifter plastic housing is a little flimsy. not that it would really ever break under normal use though. and this is another nonissue but the bolt that holds the shifter onto the bar perch should not be a domed bolt, but a semicountersunk bolt. it could potentailly get in the way of a brake lever.

thanks for the pics, they helped me finally decide on keepin with the Big S.

RapidRacerProducts.com
    I have a set on the XC and the DH rig, both seem to slip/jump when thumb shifting under load. The gears are fine it's just the lever that flys off my thumb, only when under load like the ratchet has just slipped.

This has happened with both sets, anyone else come across this, is it a fault or a flaw. I have replaced the entire inner and outer gear cable and I'm convinced it's nothing to do with the set up. The XT shifters were fine....any help would be appreciated.

I also find the double/single shift a bit vague, really have to be careful to only shift once, it gets easier with practice but the slam dunk shift is gone leaving you with something else to think about.

Other than that they are awesome.
    Disclosure:
    RapidRacerProducts.com - NeoGuard mudguard
    RapidRacers.com - UK Downhill Mountain Bike Race Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crash Master
    I have a set on the XC and the DH rig, both seem to slip/jump when thumb shifting under load. The gears are fine it's just the lever that flys off my thumb, only when under load like the ratchet has just slipped.
    i don't understand the problem....

never had a miss shift...instantaneous shifting is pretty nice, but dumping two gears at once is real nice...

Members who have read this thread: 0