mtbr member
    Apr 2008

sl-m970 multiple shifting up

I just bought a used bike and can shift up to 4 going down in gears from the big thumb trigger but only allows me to double up shift with the trigger when I am in the 2 biggest cogs. If I am in 3-9 it only upshifts 1 at a time but if I am in 1-2 it can do a double shift. Any Suggestions? Thanks...

ups and downs
    Try some fresh light grease, they tend to gunk up.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thx for reply but would it still work for 2 largest cogs if it was gunked up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    OK More info, sometimes it does 2 no matter where I am and sometimes it does just 1. What does the screw that goes into the shifter from the end of the handlebar do?

ups and downs
    Sometimes they just gunk up so the shift lever bypasses entirely and goes full travel without shifting at all in a somewhat random fashion. The grease is the most likely suspect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can I just open the plastic screw on the side and add more? I have PolyLube 1000 Lubricant. Will that work?

ups and downs
    You should use something like WD40 to clean out the current gunk and then a light spray lube. You could spray the lube in, but you might want to take the cover off to get it into all the ratchet areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Will opening it up effect anything as far as the tension or the cord it is attached to? Any harm to opening it up and cleaning?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can I just squirt some wd40 in the plastic screw end and blow it out with air instead of taking it all apart? Will that work?