mtbr member
    May 2013

Should I wait for the 2015 XT?

I want to buy a groupset in 1 or 2 months. I want it to be XT this time but Shimano didn't really improved XT since 2012. Do you think they will announce a new XT groupset this year? Should i wait for it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Robius View Post
    I want to buy a groupset in 1 or 2 months. I want it to be XT this time but Shimano didn't really improved XT since 2012. Do you think they will announce a new XT groupset this year? Should i wait for it?

Thanks!
    When New XTR is released it normally trickles down the range in following years. I wouldn't expect XT to be changed. Since 2012 though there has been tweaks, clutch d, etc

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    When New XTR is released it normally trickles down the range in following years. I wouldn't expect XT to be changed. Since 2012 though there has been tweaks, clutch d, etc
    I see thank you. I guess i'm leaning towards to m615 Deore because it's the newest. I really don't want to see a new set after i buy one.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    There's always something new on the horizon, buy what you need when you need it.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm really looking forward to getting a 2x10 with a 11-40T cassette in the XT range, but it may not happen. In all honestly, the current XT setup is unlikely to change a whole lot for 2015 other than drivetrain; the brakes will get a touch lighter with slightly better heat dispersion, the crank will get a touch lighter from the XTR, and the price will go up accordingly.

Honest answer is that if you can get the cassette, 2x cranks, front derailleur, and maybe shifters off a Deore set, (probably SLX shifters) put on XT brakes and rear derailleur, you've got a pretty baller kit, for less.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I'm really looking forward to getting a 2x10 with a 11-40T cassette in the XT range, but it may not happen. In all honestly, the current XT setup is unlikely to change a whole lot for 2015 other than drivetrain; the brakes will get a touch lighter with slightly better heat dispersion, the crank will get a touch lighter from the XTR, and the price will go up accordingly.

Honest answer is that if you can get the cassette, 2x cranks, front derailleur, and maybe shifters off a Deore set, (probably SLX shifters) put on XT brakes and rear derailleur, you've got a pretty baller kit, for less.
    I will consider this thank you. There is a SLX drivetrain set for the same price of full deore set. So i can buy it with XT brakes. Thanks for the opinions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't worry about the current xt not being the newest. You won't see the new xt probably shown until 2015 and availability summer of 2015 if thy follow the current patterns. That's way to much good riding to miss out waiting for a new grouppo.

mtbr member
    and anything new is probably going to be 11-speed. The only thing I see in the new XTR that's, IMO, worth even noting is the side-swing front derailleur, but that's kind of too little, too late - the idea of a FD is too far gone in a lot of people's minds to accept it, no matter how well it may work.

Unless the thought of an extra gear is making you horny, I'd just get something now and not worry about what may come out in the future. If they do come out with an 11-40 10s (which I really, really doubt), it'll probably work with any derailleur you get today.

mtbr member
    Hell they could even throw a budget 11-38 XT cassette at 345gr just for do something different for this year
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon