Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I would like to see a 12 speed that fits in 11 speed hubs with ratios of 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34-38-42. Closer gaps and 11 and all major wheel manufactures are making 11 speed hubs.
    My Gods! 10 speed is plenty: 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-37-42
    11 speed might make sense if the biggest cog goes to 44

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Re I-speck: According to my official Shimano blurb, the new shifter fits directly to the new brake lever but requires a "special nut" to attach to the old brake lever. The old shifter supposedly won't fit the new brake lever at all. It'd be kinda nice if Shimano would quit with the "one step forward, two steps back" stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    11 speed might make sense if the biggest cog goes to 44
    No, no no! 11 is better - just ask Nigel Tufnel. And then there's Twelve: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Tripl...elease/1010722

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^ According to my Shimano blurb, the new shifter fits directly to the new brake lever but requires a "special nut" to attach to the old brake lever. The old shifter won't officially fit the new brake lever at all. It'd be kinda nice if Shimano would quit with the "one step forward, two steps back" stuff...
    In the box of the new i-spec type B shifters there is an additional nut included to mount to the old brake levers.

The old i-spec type A shifters only work with the old brake levers.

I've had the old type A, and currently own two type B setups (2014 XT brakes / shifters, 2014 XTR trail brakes / shifters) : the new type B is a really good design and an improvement over the old type A. Definitely not 'one step forward, two steps back'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Still, making things incompatible doesn't help. Shimano also have a habit of doing things like for instance offering a larger cassette (34 -> 36T) and at the same time making the smallest chainring larger (22 -> 24T). They make some great stuff, but it'd be nice if they only changed things when there was a reason for doing so that didn't include either marketing or planned obsolescence.

It's an absolute nightmare trying to keep up with what's compatible with what, and things are getting worse, especially since 1) the info is generally not available online from Shimano, and 2) the printed material is becoming ever-scarcer every year. Of course, one can attempt to ask the Shimano reps but I get the impression they have to do a lot of guessing themselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    In the box of the new i-spec type B shifters there is an additional nut included to mount to the old brake levers.

The old i-spec type A shifters only work with the old brake levers.

I've had the old type A, and currently own two type B setups (2014 XT brakes / shifters, 2014 XTR trail brakes / shifters) : the new type B is a really good design and an improvement over the old type A. Definitely not 'one step forward, two steps back'.
    Based on what I saw, it looks like you still can't adjust the angle between the brake lever and shifters like the matchmakers, so how much better can this mounting be? What problem did it solve, we know it created problems.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    No, you can't adjust the angle - but for me it's perfect out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, you can't adjust the angle - but for me it's perfect out of the box.
    Ok so what's the improvement? That's my point, why change it if you've added nothing?

Well they did add something, incompatibility with the older version.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's not like you have to get i-spec anyway. If you want it, fine, if not, compatibility is not your worry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    It's not like you have to get i-spec anyway. If you want it, fine, if not, compatibility is not your worry.
    Love that answer, well no biggie as long as you don't want ISpec. If you do,5 well screw you. You know how many lower end build kits spec Shimano shifters but Avid brakes?
    So if you bought one of those recently Shimano just gave you the middle finger if you want to upgrade brakes.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Got A Lust for Life...

Re: Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Love that answer, well no biggie as long as you don't want ISpec. If you do,5 well screw you. You know how many lower end build kits spec Shimano shifters but Avid brakes?
    So if you bought one of those recently Shimano just gave you the middle finger if you want to upgrade brakes.
    Not really, just get compatible brakes. There plenty out there and will be cheaper to boot. Kinda did you a favor. It is not necessary anyway...so whatever.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't understand what you are saying. Shimano makes shiftlevers with and without i-spec. I can't imagine how this is a middle finger. You can also buy the i-spec mounts and convert non-ispec shifters if you want to.

mtbr member
    Ok so what's the improvement? That's my point, why change it if you've added nothing?
    1. The interface between brakes and shifters is more solid.
    2. No need to dismount the brake lever clamp in case you wish to mount the shifters to the clamp (although in general you only need to do this once).

If you look at it in real life, it's a really clever system and makes you wonder nobody else thought about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

1. The interface between brakes and shifters is more solid.
    2. No need to dismount the brake lever clamp in case you wish to mount the shifters to the clamp (although in general you only need to do this once).

If you look at it in real life, it's a really clever system and makes you wonder nobody else thought about it.
    Sounds like you've had a look at both A spec and B spec... Any ideas if pairing B spec shifters with A spec levers result in the more solid interface that you mention with a B spec/B spec setup? Or do you think that the new brake lever design is integral to the sturdier setup?

mtbr member
    The biggest difference is on the inside of the lever clamp : there is no longer a 'channel' to hold the T-nut for tightening the shifter's mounting bolt.

Have a look at the tech documents of the shifters to see the difference between the shifter interface (note : you can see the T-nut for mounting the type B shifters to older brakes) :

i-spec type a

i-spec type b
    Last edited by madskatingcow; 09-16-2013 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Back to main topic...damn inter bike is half over and still no dedicated 1x group/setup from shimano... dang.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

www.EpicCyclist.com
    WTF! I find it strange, are they sleeping??? I guess I'm going Sram if they don't get their $h!t together soon.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I knew he was lying...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
    I am immune to your disdain.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    In my experience the SRAM stuff is going to be single season use. Creaky cassettes, fast wearing drivetrain. Gives Shimano a little time to figure it out. Shimanos big argument is limited gear range with big gaps in between. I've been on the SRAM for 6 month, hated the gearing at first but have gotten use to it. Rode a 2x10 last weekend and it seemed...complicated! The front shifter really got in the way of my dropper remote
    I keep telling my Shimano rep I know they have a patent for a 14 speed cassette and chain, just sayin.

mtbr member
    Shimano's stuff is in general properly engineered and shouldn't be giving too much of a hassle.

Sold al my X.0 and XX stuff, the creaking of the Type 2 rear derailleur drove me nuts. Same as their crappy brakes.

mtbr member
    I though maybe they would release something at Intervbike but the reality is 2014 XTR is coming in the spring and it makes sense they release it then.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I though maybe they would release something at Intervbike but the reality is 2014 XTR is coming in the spring and it makes sense they release it then.

Erik
    Except for the 2014 XTR Race brakes, wheels, chain, bottom brackets, etc ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    so no update at all from shimano?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It seems to me that Shimano simply doesn't have an answer to Sram's 1x11. I'm a loyal Shimano guy. Have been for years. Strayed to the XO dark side once and regretted it.

But it seems to me the great Japanese giant is sleeping. No 12x142 hubs (except the 32hole boat anchors I currently have), no 1x11, and their only carbon mountain bike wheels are tubular???

Maybe the Tsunami set their country back a year I don't know...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    As they say...... Patience is a virtue...........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If shimano are crafty, their answer to sram's 1x11 would be a 1x12 system. Then they wouldn't have to answer to anybody until sram brings 1x13 to market. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to forecast what the next trend in drivetrains will be

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast