mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Ever see the mega range cassette?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4
    I just dont see it for this market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It's more likely this is something that' been cobbled together from aftermarket bits than something official from Shimano. FWIW, there was talk and pics not long ago though about a not-many-speed Shimano DH prototype cassette that had bigger gaps between the gears so it was possible to make a large change in ratio rapidly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That cassette looks like a half-measure and Shimano doesn't do half-measures.

mtbr member
    That, a simple 11 to max 44 10 speed cassette that works with existing shifter/derailleur and wheel plus allows for customizing the highest gears by switching cogs, would be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Probably won't be that ^^^. It'll be 11 speed and require new wheels just like the road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Whatever Shimano do, they'll tell us it requires new parts (even if it doesn't), so the only way to figure things out for sure will to be to experiment - as usual. BTW, there's no real reason that 11 speed MTB would need a wider freehub body as the extra (large) cog could just be cantilevered out over the spokes, and use 10 speed spacing; seeing some people are having troubles with some existing freehub bodies with 36T cogs, I'd say a *stronger* freehub body is more likely to be required. Since this would need different construction - as there's no way to make more room for larger, stronger parts without a redesign - Shimano could end up doing just about anything.

The only way we'll have any idea what Shimano are going to do will be to wait and see, but my guess is that whatever it is won't have a low enough bottom gear, i.e., business as usual. :-(

mtbr member
    All I want is an 11x40 cassette that works with existing hubs. I will even buy a new 11sp shifter and rd if I have to. But cassettes have to be priced no more then $150 and have to work with the wheels I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Should be easy to make, but whether they'll do it is another matter...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    All I want is an 11x40 cassette that works with existing hubs. I will even buy a new 11sp shifter and rd if I have to. But cassettes have to be priced no more then $150 and have to work with the wheels I have.
    It can be done, Recon has come up with a 11-40 10 speed. Costly at 250 Euro or so, materials are steel/titanium plus aluminum for the last 3 cogs, 320 grams. Spacing, 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 32, 36, 40 is a bit silly, it looks like the cogs are all individual (no spider), but ... it is an (expensive) option.
    Recon MTB Titan Kassetten/Cassette 10s 11-40 Shimano compatible, 249,

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ It actually says: "The sprockets are all individually. The 3 largest on a Spyder, then the two next largest again on a Spyder. " A bit contradictory, but their English is still better than my German!

Cog sizes are weird though, so I'd guess it's mostly cobbled together from bits they already made for other cassettes. Even percent steps, or increasing as the gears get lower would make a lot more sense, and 27-32T = WTF. The SRAM/General Lee 11,13,15,17,19,22,25,29,34,40 combo looks much better and is way cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here it is-
    Jared graves was using it at whislter.

Pinkbike had an article on this that lasted 2-3 hours before shimano had it pulled. Behold it while you can-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11-42cassette.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Yup, that was posted on the prevuous page. Hope we'd hear something about it soon.

mtbr member
    So nothing at Eurobike? I wonder how long we will have to wonder if its going to go public.

mtbr member

Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Spoke with Shimano rep and its coming. He just wouldn't tell me when but said soon. Real soon and it will be compatible with existing components.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Spoke with Shimano rep and its coming. He just wouldn't tell me when but said soon. Real soon and it will be compatible with existing components.

Erik
    I hope your right. My contact told me when pigs fly they are working on something I can't talk about.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Xtr is on closeout at the distributors. The cranks are being discontinued, as are the brakes. That is telling.

I am immune to your disdain.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Can you run a 28 t narrow wide on any of The XTR cranks? Might have to pick some up if so.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member

If I was a gambling man XTR got moved up in the redesign calendar due to XX1. If you look at Shimano's normal update it happens every 4 years which put you at a release in the summer of 2014.

I bet Shimano has something up there sleeve and I hope to see it at Interbike. If not we are bound to see something next summer.

I would like to see a 12 speed that fits in 11 speed hubs with ratios of 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34-38-42. Closer gaps and 11 and all major wheel manufactures are making 11 speed hubs.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Xtr is on closeout at the distributors. The cranks are being discontinued, as are the brakes. That is telling.
    Regarding the brakes, only the BR-M985 race brakes are discontinued and replaced by the XTR BR-M987. The trail version is being continued with updated i-spec type b compatible mounting clamps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can you run a 28 t narrow wide on any of The XTR cranks? Might have to pick some up if so.
    I really don't think so. The best you could do is one of the 30T Raceface rings. The racing double uses an 88mm bolt circle which would fit a 28T, but I don't think anybody makes one for that pattern.

Got A Lust for Life...

Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Regarding the brakes, only the BR-M985 race brakes are discontinued and replaced by the XTR BR-M987. The trail version is being continued with updated i-spec type b compatible mounting clamps.
    Ahh, so the trails are discontinued due to the new mounting. Got it. Cool. Lots of updates.

mtbr member

What is the type B IPSec?

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You could run it if the XTR BCD matches the chainring, which the RFs are 104BCD. With rings that smaller than 30T, there's interference with the spider arms so the chain won't fit.

Note: I've not tried this conversion. You'd need to place spacers/washers between the ring and crank to clear the spider arms. 2mm might be enough to clear. You might also need longer chainring bolts depending on how long your existing bolts are. You'd want to be sure you've got plenty of thread holding too with all force on the rings while pedaling.

The other thing is to make sure the chain clears the spider arms when shifting down the cassette to the smaller cogs. In the smaller cogs, the chain will be now outboard of the spider and may contact the spider arms.

I'm curious to see if it could work. Please post back if you do this.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    What is the type B IPSec?

Erik
    I love Shimano, but it's a cluster F.... they should have left alone. They changed the ISpec mounting, so the original ISpec is called A and the new one is B. They are not completely backwards compatible either. I don't remember which combo works. It was something like B brake lever can work with both A and B shifters, but A lever won't with B shifter. Anyway as I said really stupid on Shimanos part.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Got A Lust for Life...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I love Shimano, but it's a cluster F.... they should have left alone. They changed the ISpec mounting, so the original ISpec is called A and the new one is B. They are not completely backwards compatible either. I don't remember which combo work. It was something like B brake lever can works with both A and B shifters, but A lever won't with B shifter. Anyway as I said really stupid on Shimanos part.
    Ugh

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast