Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Check out this photo, I believe this is a Shimano electronic 1x11 prototype.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    This is Sram XX1 just with a Specialized crank, isn't it?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    This is Sram XX1 just with a Specialized crank, isn't it?
    That's what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Could this be a glimps at Di2 on Absalons new bike, or is it the new electronic system from Fox?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's it. There it is.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Looks to be the latter.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Sorry guys but that battery is just for the fox suspension. The derailleurs look to be standard XTR

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

nanodrive :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Mutantclover View Post
    I know it sounds crazy but when you think about it: how about making the chain pitch smaller?

If manufacturing tolerances have allowed so much narrower chains (8 speed vs 10 speed) why not? Chain pins could remain the same diameter, and the plates could remain the same thickness, just shorter. The rollers would get smaller. Derailleurs and shifters could be compatible with existing setups (assuming the same number of speeds), the only thing that would have to be swapped would be jockey wheels which are nothing more than fancy plastic. That leaves the cassette, chain, and chainring to be must-haves for compatibility, which are all wear items anyway.

Imagine a 20% shorter chain pitch allowing 20% more teeth per cog without changing the freehub body or needing larger chainrings. This would allow greater range on a cassette while better maintaining the ideal difference between gears of approximately 14%. 12,14,16,19,22,25,29,33,38,44,50 - for example. The 50t would be the size of a 40t with todays standards.

Throw in a "floating chainring" that moves laterally to improve chainline at the extremes of the cassette and I'd be a really happy camper. Okay, I'm not sure if that one is possible, but it looks like it has been done before as seen here:
    How about the nanodrive? hee hee hee
    Nanodrive Bicycle Chain Drive System
    And apparently Shimano already tried doing a 10mm pitch chain in the 80's?
    Last edited by zzzman20; 04-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    But chain pitch only affects how many roller pins are in the chain, or how many potential points of failure from wear. Drive ratios are all about the diameters of the gears - smaller gears with more teeth are still smaller gears...

Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Does GT have the answer?

Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11-newgt.jpg

Does this prototype GT drivetrain look normal XTR to you?

No chain guide on a new Enduro weapon & the teeth on the front chainring look long. Is this a sign of the new Shimano 1x??

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There was a caption for that picture. It was something like "Dan Athertons new Enduro bike almost ready just needs a chainguide".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not sure what people are talking about here but a gear ratio is calculated off of the number of teeth in the system not the diameter of the sprocket.

If you front was 28 and the rear was 42 it would be a 1.5:1 ratio, meaning for every time you spin the cranks 1 1/2 times the rear would go around 1 time.

The same would be true if you front was a 30 and the rear was a 45. It would still take 1 1/2 spins of the cramk to spin the rear 1 time.

The diameter is a result of the teeth count and the size of the teeth. Larger teeth/larger diameter will handle more torque and be stronger.

mtbr member

I wonder if they go to 11 speeds with next years XTR and just use the same cassette spacing as there 11 speed road group. I would love an additional 40 tooth gear and just keep the same cassette spacing as 36-11 10 speed cassette. To me this make sense.

Erik

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Talked to Shimano guys at 24 Hour this week up outside of Toronto. His reply to 'what are you guys doing to compete with XX1?', he said - "It's going to be WAY cooler and much better, just wait!" No further comment but something is in the works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    And way more expensive? I don't really want something way cooler and better, I want a simple 10-speed 11-42 cassette that fits all my existing hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    And way more expensive? I don't really want something way cooler and better, I want a simple 10-speed 11-42 cassette that fits all my existing hubs.
    This. Though I'll accept a 10-42 since I run Hope hubs. No batteries, no custom bolt circles, no "cool" features that they'll try charging an extra $300 for. Give me a cassette that costs <$150, an SLX grade clutch derailleur and a crankset that allows a 28t ring. Done.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    This. Though I'll accept a 10-42 since I run Hope hubs. No batteries, no custom bolt circles, no "cool" features that they'll try charging an extra $300 for. Give me a cassette that costs <$150, an SLX grade clutch derailleur and a crankset that allows a 28t ring. Done.
    Me 3, come on Shimano!!!!

Got A Lust for Life...
    They are releasing 11 speed this fall probably across the lines. Reynolds is replacing my freehub with an 11 spd freehub.I asked if that meant 11 spd was coming and yes was the answer without giving me the answer.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    I did my first ride on XX1 last night. It was great. I have no doubt that new XTR will blow everything else away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Anything other than this and I just won't do it. I'll even take an 11-40 cassette. Sorry. Not gunna do the General Lee cassette adapter. The tooth-number-jumps at the top are too big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think we'll find out in a week or so. I believe that's when the big dealer trade shows start happening.

Trail Ninja
    Patent US5954604 - Multiple sprocket assembly for a bicycle - Google Patents

+ electronics possibly. They have a ton of electronic related patents, like an electronic motor based dropper post. Maybe when model numbers roll over from M-986 (for XTR or M-786 for XT) to M-1000 series, maybe you can expect the *start* of the revolution, beginning with the XTR groupset. Got to be patient with Shimano, as they are highly engineer based, but many of their innovations don't seem to come until they think the timing's right.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    They are releasing 11 speed this fall probably across the lines. Reynolds is replacing my freehub with an 11 spd freehub.I asked if that meant 11 spd was coming and yes was the answer without giving me the answer.

new XTR won't poke it's head out this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We've already seen lot sof companies 2014 lines. I think we'd know by now about 2014.

Got A Lust for Life...

Re: Shimano's answer to SRAM's 1x11

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    new XTR won't poke it's head out this year.
    Maybe, maybe not. In a conversation with the Shimano rep he said that come September they are going to be releasing stuff that is going to "do some serious damage" to Sram. Reps talk like this all the time. Who really knows if that is true even if they release new items. But, given 11 spd cassette bodies are showing up on mountain wheels for a reason, I am guessing 11spd Is coming whether new XTR is coming first or not. Could be 11 speed XT at a price point much lower than XX1. I could see that doing serious damage.

I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Could be 11 speed XT at a price point much lower than XX1. I could see that doing serious damage.
    I'm absolutely certain SRAM has the design work complete for X9 1x11. They're taking their time rolling it out since it's the only game in town. If Shimano released an XT tomorrow, you'd see X9 the day after.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast