Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    you can dump a lot of gears with gripshift
    Nope not an option.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    See Devinci Atlas
    Of course with 430mm chainstays there is some options. See too the Kona Process 111 and the Specialized enduro 29.
    But some 26ers fullsusp. AM bikes have sub 420mm chainstays and still maintaining room for big DH tired(and I dont talk about sub 400mm hardtails). So too drop under 430mm on a 29er you have to ditch the FD. Here is one of the advantages of wide 1x11 gearsets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Meh. SRAM 1x11 has basically the same range as my 2x9 32-22 x 11-34. That's good enough for me and allows:
    - solid chain retention
    - tire clearance on a short chainstay 29er (Satori)
    - less weight/stuff on the bars
    - I actually prefer the larger ratio steps of 1x11. I'm usually clicking off two gears at a time with 1x10

At the same time, I completely understand many would prefer the extra range and finer steps of 2x11. I don't think either one is inherently "better" than the other. I think 1x11 got so much attention because a lot of people were asking for a wide range 1x solution for years.

mtbr member
    Ive seen the grip shift work well with the xx1
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So im looking everywhere and theres not a mention of a new hub for the Shimano system...soooo im assuming its just a straight swap of the cassette?

1 X 11, 1 X 10 10-36... as long as i can fit a fron ring that makes it similar to a Front 26 Rear 36 then i think id be happy...fitting a Sram 1 x 11 to a frame ive got and so ive picked a 30T front for the 42T Rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    So im looking everywhere and theres not a mention of a new hub for the Shimano system...soooo im assuming its just a straight swap of the cassette?

1 X 11, 1 X 10 10-36... as long as i can fit a fron ring that makes it similar to a Front 26 Rear 36 then i think id be happy...fitting a Sram 1 x 11 to a frame ive got and so ive picked a 30T front for the 42T Rear.
    26", 27.5 or 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by in-vico View Post
    26", 27.5 or 29er?
    29er

lamer
    Does anyone know when the XTR M9000 stuff will be available? Trying to decide if I want to invest in a 40T cog now or wait.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Does anyone know when the XTR M9000 stuff will be available? Trying to decide if I want to invest in a 40T cog now or wait.
    Maybe late September, probably October.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I starting looking into it and Shimano really screwed this one up.

It has nothing to do with the 11-40 cassette, they are on their 3rd ISpec iteration and of course this one isn't compatible with A or B.

No fin way I'm buying new brakes to go with this setup and I don't want to go back to 2 clamps.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Well I starting looking into it and Shimano really screwed this one up.

It has nothing to do with the 11-40 cassette, they are on their 3rd ISpec iteration and of course this one isn't compatible with A or B.

No fin way I'm buying new brakes to go with this setup and I don't want to go back to 2 clamps.
    As the resident expert on this ... do you know the answers to these couple of questions?

1) Are the last gen shifters still compatible with the new FRONT mechs? i know the rear wont be

2) Is the cassette a straight swap on the hubs ( unlike sram)?

My Niner front mech gets sticky with mud and the new mechanicals of the new XTR mech should solve that problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    As the resident expert on this ... do you know the answers to these couple of questions?

1) Are the last gen shifters still compatible with the new FRONT mechs? i know the rear wont be

2) Is the cassette a straight swap on the hubs ( unlike sram)?

My Niner front mech gets sticky with mud and the new mechanicals of the new XTR mech should solve that problem.
    I'm not the resident expert, just called Shimano directly before preordering.

Cassette fits stock hubs.

I didn't ask about a old shifter with new FD, call them and ask.

All I asked about was ISpec 2 working with A or B and the answer was no.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Will the new xtr shifter work with a 10 speed XT derailleur? like the old 8 and 9 speed used to. Or will it be another slight change in the pull ratio so 10 and 11 won't work together.
    Uppo

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uppo View Post
    Will the new xtr shifter work with a 10 speed XT derailleur? like the old 8 and 9 speed used to. Or will it be another slight change in the pull ratio so 10 and 11 won't work together.
    Won't work

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks, I guessed that would be the case.
    Uppo

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19