Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    SLR
    SLR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Why not get the Shimano SLX 660 rings in 36 and 22 from C/R? Is the bolt pattern different ? I don't think it us different...
    Will it work for 10sp?

  2. #27
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    947
    The rings will work, but you have to use your crank. Ring spacing is different on 10 and 9 speeds, but tooth profile is same .... .... I think.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8MUD View Post
    I have the 2x10 22/34 setup, and it works perfect!!
    I would like to convert my 28/40 M785 to a 22/36.

    Where did you find a 22 tooth ring that would fit the tab designs?

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    36
    I used a 38-22 setup on my old bike while waiting for a 26y to replace the 22t. It actually worked really well.

    I used the TA Specialites Chinook rings.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rey Recinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    151
    Mine is XT 785 with 38-24 rings....installed with an MRP 2x chain guide
    Shimano XT FC-M785 Crankset 38X26T - 24t possible?-dsc09644.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]821068
    [/ATTACH]Shimano XT FC-M785 Crankset 38X26T - 24t possible?-dsc09655.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano XT FC-M785 Crankset 38X26T - 24t possible?-dsc09643.jpg  


  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6
    What's the need for a MRP chain guide if you are running a FD?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rey Recinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    151
    to avoid chain slap...even if I am using the XT RD with clutch...and to avoid chain drops..the MRP 2x I use is 2-chain ring specific...

  8. #33
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,139
    24-36 on a 2x10 would be just about perfect if not a little tall for a 29er.

    I've never understood the push for such tall rings on mountain bikes. If you are spinning out for any length of time on the 36x11 combo I doubt you are mountainbiking.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    24-36 on a 2x10 would be just about perfect if not a little tall for a 29er.

    I've never understood the push for such tall rings on mountain bikes. If you are spinning out for any length of time on the 36x11 combo I doubt you are mountainbiking.
    Different strokes for different folks. I run 38/26 XTR's on my hardtail, with an 11-34 XT cassette in the rear. I never leave the 38. Ever. There is climbing involved where I live and ride. On the ride to the trails, the 38/11 gets pretty near spun out, but the 11-34 range is just about perfect on the trails.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Idshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I run 38/26 XTR's on my hardtail, with an 11-34 XT cassette in the rear. I never leave the 38. Ever. There is climbing involved where I live and ride. On the ride to the trails, the 38/11 gets pretty near spun out, but the 11-34 range is just about perfect on the trails.
    Come out west and you'll get out of that 38 real quick.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    Come out west and you'll get out of that 38 real quick.

    Been out West. Lived in Nevada City, California for a year (really close to Downieville for reference). We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Idshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Been out West. Lived in Nevada City, California for a year (really close to Downieville for reference). We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Don't buy it stud.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    Don't buy it stud.
    Good for you, and thanks for referring to me as a stud. And what is there not to buy? That I lived in Nevada City? Listen, when I was there, 5 years ago, I rode a 26" hardtail with XTR cranks that had a 36 tooth middle ring, to a 11-32 cassette. I never left the middle ring. There was just no need. Climbs were sustained. On the road, I would generally run a loop that had two 9-11% climbs that were about 4 miles long each. I figured that to be par for the course out there. I really enjoyed climbing them. I had good old regular 53-39 rings run back to 11-25 cassette. I started out pushing that climb averaging about 9 miles per hour. After a handful of times, I was averaging about 11.

    I actually felt like I could have done better and figured most locals to be able to do better than me, but I don't know because I generally rode by myself (with the exception of an also fast younger kid that went to the school that my wife and I went out there for her to teach at. He ended up going to Fort Lewis to race by the way). By your 'not buying it' HS logic, I should have had a triple on my road bike too.

    Just because YOU can't doesn't mean I can't.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Idshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112
    9-11% grades are absolutely nothing to brag about. One of my favorite loops climbs 1600 vertical in the final 1.75 miles of the climb. There is no way you are staying in that 38. Seems to me you may not really know what mountain biking really is. Sure on a plush cross country race track the 38 can be done but on a ungroomed steep and technical route you'll need it all. The people on this thread are wanting to know what compatibility issues they may run into not how bad ass you are in your 38.
    Last edited by Idshooter; 10-09-2013 at 08:31 AM.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    9-11% grades are absolutely nothing to brag about. One of my favorite loops climbs 1600 vertical in the final 1.75 miles of the climb. There is no way you are staying in that 38. Seems to me you may not really know what mountain biking really is. Sure on a plush cross country race track the 38 can be done but on a ungroomed steep and technical route you'll need it all.
    You are scratched. I don't think what you are describing is all that worse than what we have here on the east. It's just longer. When you're done stroking yourself because you're from the west (no offense at all meant to westies in general, just you) you may want to ponder that our climbs are technical and steep here too. The riding is more anaerobic, as opposed to aerobic. I feel aerobic is easier. I think you'd puke if you rode here...or just ride reeeaaalllly slow. You make it sound like we're talking about 40 or 42 tooth chainrings. It's a 38 for goodness sakes....



    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    The people on this thread are wanting to know what compatibility issues they may run into not how bad ass you are in your 38.
    Right, so why is it that you have felt the need to chime in dismissively to what I said to MikerJ? I don't see anything that you have contributed either. Glass houses and black tea pots....

    ( No offense was meant to your post MikerJ. For some reason, I get the feeling that you know that. John Wayne over here is another story. )

    Frankly, I get the sense that you couldn't ride in a 38-whatever, anywhere... east or west, hence the reason you had to inform me of what I can't do...you just can't fathom it.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Anyway, I'm done here. Wasn't my intent to derail thread. My apologies to the other posters.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Idshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112
    Your funny Jersey Shore boy. I'm sure on your bike paths your 38 soots you just fine.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    Your funny Jersey Shore boy. I'm sure on your bike paths your 38 soots you just fine.
    Take your Epeen over to pinkbike, will fit in better there.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •