mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Shimano XT brake clicking sound

My XT hydro front brakes are making a clicking sound when I squeeze the lever. The clicking sound occurs during the last part of the lever pull right before the pads hit the rotor. It still seems to be braking ok but I'm worried that there's something wrong with the brake and it'll fail on me suddenly. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I get this too sometimes. Interested to know as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can you feel the click at the lever as well? If so, this has happened to me twice. In my case it was caused by dirt between the pistons and the body of the caliper. Both times this happened to me was after particularly muddy rides.

Try removing the brake pads, squeezing the lever a few times to push the pistons out a bit, thoroughly cleaning the pistons with isopropyl ETOH, pushing the pads back in and then re-installing the pads. Just be careful not to push the pistons out too far or you could lose fluid and have to re-bleed your brakes.

Both times this clicking happened to me, cleaning the pistons off did the trick.