mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Shimano warranty?

Hi guys.
    Long story short, I bought a xtr m975 rear hub in summer 2010, and after much abuse in worst conditions, the freehub finally died. It needs replacing.
    I've been said by my local dealer he would try to get it warrantied, asshimano XTR's got three years warranty.

I kind of doubt it. Is that real?
    If it is real, is it that long (which is a good thing) just because it's a XTR? Would I get the same 3 years with a lower end product, let's say SLX?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here is the link for the Shimano official policy, and yes XTR gets 3 years.

Warranty
    Get out there and ride!

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    I just the same hub destroy itself this weekend when I was 30 miles from home. Going uphill and stood up and it siezed up and it wouldn't even roll. After carrying my bike a few miles I got a ride home and took my
    hub apart the freehub bolt with the cone built into it wore thin and crumbled and then siezed it also
    cracked the race in the freehub. I've only had this hub for maybe 500 miles so I have to see about the warranty this week. Any updates on your situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eatsleepbikes View Post
    I just the same hub destroy itself this weekend when I was 30 miles from home. Going uphill and stood up and it siezed up and it wouldn't even roll. After carrying my bike a few miles I got a ride home and took my
    hub apart the freehub bolt with the cone built into it wore thin and crumbled and then siezed it also
    cracked the race in the freehub. I've only had this hub for maybe 500 miles so I have to see about the warranty this week. Any updates on your situation.
    First off, sorry to hear your story, I've been fortunated with this hub. Loving it. It totally deserved to fail after all the abuse I thrown in.
    Here's my story; Bought the hub in late summer 2010. Been riding it year-round for just over 16 months, would say around 100 days, 2500-3000kms without any issue, in crappy conditions. Than it fails within one ride.
    Shimano's got a three year warranty on XTR product, which is more than awesome. I went to my local bike shop and they sent it out for warranty. Still waiting for it, been more than 3 weeks now.
    Will keep you updated on this.

Edit: By the way, I'm gregmazo. I posted and thought I was on my account, but I was on my bro's. Sorry for confusion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That should be an easy warranty. I had an M965 go after a full three years and they sent me an M975 within days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just came back from my LBS, my mechanic showed me my new XTR freehub in the bag, it should be ready to roll tomorrow.
    It took just over three weeks to get it. Quite long if you ask me, but I was in no rush. And three years warranty is pretty impressive!
    Even longer by the says of 'epic'.