mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Shimano SLX 3x10 shifter with 2x10 crank compatibility ?

Hi,

I'm looking to change my 3x10 crank to a 2x10 crank for my 29er.

I'd like to know if it is possible to use 2x10 crank (Shimano XT about 38-24) with my Shimano SLX 3x10 shift and Deore 3x10 front derailleur to do it low cost ?

Is it possible, easy, reliable ???

Thanks by advance. Stan

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by michalss View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to use 2x10 crank (Shimano XT about 38-24) with my Shimano SLX 3x10 shift and Deore 3x10 front derailleur to do it low cost ?

Thanks by advance. Stan
    Yup. This is what I had on my bike before I went single speed. Just don't shift to the third gear and roll your chain off the chainring!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Look up how to adjust your front derailleur adjustments screws, i.e Park Tool site. When they are properly adjusted you won't be able to shift on to the now missing big ring. It will take a bit of time to do but that's all it should cost you.

An alternative to a new crank is to drop your big ring and get single chainring bolts for the middle ring. If you are set on that gearing you can buy new rings and mount them (your LBS can put them on also) to your existing crank.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, I am thinking about the same thing, removing the large ring and go for 2x9 instead of 3x9. Would adding a bashguard help prevent the chain from slipping off in case i do accidentally shift to the third ring?
    Also, i currently have 22t-32t, if i upgrade to 36t on the larger ring, will this cause any issues? my drivetrain is full Shimano SLX 9 speed. I have read some threads that state this is possible while others say that this will cause major problems with shifting, chainrub, etc.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

That's all good !

Quote Originally Posted by michalss View Post
    Hi,

Thanks by advance. Stan
    Did it 3 month ago and work perfect with 10 speed.

mtbr member

Swapping XT 3x10 and 2x10 cranksets

Looking to upgrade from XT/XTR 9 speed to XT/XTR 10 speed, but wanted the ability to swap over to a XT780 3x10 (24/32/42) crankset for multi-day MTB rides and longer epic rides.
    So, from what I've read on this site, swapping out a XT 24/32/42 3x10 crankset for a XT785 2x10 version, and reusing the XT780 shifters (set to 2 ring setting), f derailleur, and XT BB works fine. Can anyone confirm?
    I race XC short track during early summer months, but revert back to Epic XC MTB riding (4-6 hour endurance romps in the National Forest with long grinding tech climbs, super steep pitches, and fast double track, so a 24x36 low and 11x42 high is mandatory with 26" wheels) on the same bike.
    Last edited by OffRoadRoadie; 01-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Follow up question. Would the Shimano XT FD-M785 FD (FD 2x10 Dyna-sys 2x10 Front Derailleur TOP SWING with a Maximum Capacity of 14T) work with a 24/32/42-3x10 XT crankset? The 14 teeth capacity looks like a no go on the 3x10 though.
    How about the RD-M786-SGS-S long cage Shadow RD, is it going to shift any slower when I swap back to the 28/40 2x10 crankset?
    Probable better to go with a 3x10 shift group, and swap out the crankset for a 28/40-2x10, and chain during the XCST season (assuming the SGS RD shifts fast enough, and the FD low setting is adjusted properly)