mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Shimano Range for new build.

Hi Shimano

Need some assistance: I haven't been able to find a contact us on the Shimano site.

All below in relation to Mountain Bikes.

Some questions around the Shimano range:

So I understand it (the range) as Deore SLX, Deore XT then Saint, New Saint and XTR.
    If we use/reference Brakes:

Shimano Deore M595 is a lower end unit compared to Shimano SLX M666 not just because of Deore and SLX label, but also because of the M595 compared to M666 labelling,

Now the question: the word Deore, it is being included in a M595 brake set, the price actually implies the Deore is a lower range than the SLX M666. But then there is the Deore XT which just confuses everything, so what impact does the Deore actually have

And then there is the Saint and new Saint designations.

I currently have (2012):
    Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Shimano XT/Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Shimano Shimano XTR M985 Disc Brake Pads | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I'm looking for the (2013) replacements for a new bike I'm building, the above is joined with:
    SHIMANO XT M780 10 SPEED TRIGGER SHIFTER - I-SPEC

If I can't find a "liked" updated model then I will move the above onto the new bike and replace the above components with: Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake Set on the older bike.

I'm looking at putting together a XT group set for my new Pyga, based on the OneTen29'r.

Off topic... I'm also looking for a BB, (BB92 Press Fit), haven't found a Press fit BB92,

George

mtbr member
    Range is Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, Deore XT, XTR. As you go up the range from left to right you get lighter, harder wearing, and more expensive components.

ZEE and Saint are downhill specific groups, roughly comparable to SLX and XT in the normal range.

The model numbers correspond to the above levels, so anything 9xx is XTR, 8xx Saint, 7xx XT, 6xx SLX and so on. For the xx the higher the number the more recent the release.

So, in brakes for example, the M785 are XT and the M666 are the 2012 SLX and the M675 the 2013 SLX. Shimano do not update every group every year, so SLX has just been upgraded for 2013, but the 2012 and 2013 XT are the same, so the XT stuff you listed above is indeed the latest level.

Shimano's BB92 press-fit BB is here - Shimano BB91 MTB Press Fit Bottom Bracket | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

PS: You won't find a contact for Shimano, as they don't talk direct to us consumers. Instead you have to rely on the knowledge of the retailers and the biking community, although they do have some very good technical manuals on their website - Shimano