Natural body armor

Shimano platform/clip pedals - which one?

I'm upgrading pedals on my bike (currently using SP-M324) and I was thinking about the SP-M647 as everybody is giving great reviews of those pedals.
    Shimano also makes M545 (w/ aluminum cage) and the M424 (cheaper version of 647).
    M424 472g MSRP $60 - can find around $55
    M545 567g MSRP $99 - can find for $79
    M647 568g MSRP $130 - on sale @ $75

The better models seems also heavier

any recommendations on which way to go?
    any experience on 545 vs. 647?
    Thx
    ZT
    Last edited by Zen_Turtle; 08-28-2006 at 06:13 PM.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    m647 as the engaging system is much better i had them on my marin rocky ridge for a year with no problems what so ever

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wouldn't discount the M424's - they do a damn fine job and given the weight and price get my vote.

HillBilly

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah M424s do quite alright... I run them on my SS, however the 647 has better mud clearance, just something to consider with regard to you local trail conditions... I haven't had any issues with the 424s, but there isn't that much mud around here either...

mini clyde
    I broke the cage on a 424 this year, trapped it b/w my foot and a rock and !snap!. Allegedly the cages are available as replacement parts, but can't get my LBS to remember to order one. So I bought a set of 545s online.

The platforms on the 545s are noticably stiffer, but the plastic on the 424s had more grip on the soles of my shoes. I liked the 424s fine, I just don't want to have to ride around rocks and logs because I'm concerned about breaking a pedal. The rock thing was a little unusual, I know rocks aren't good for ANY pedal, but I'm not the best rider and mistakes will happen . . .