mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Shimano love and xt vs. xtr pedal question

First off- I've got to get it off my chest that I used to hate Shimano. I don't like to be a conformist or help out the "big guys" where I can avoid it etc. and sort of automatically lumped Shimano with the bad guys when I started getting more into riding and actually caring what was on my bikes. I was wrong and have found myself switching to Shimano one broken or worn out part at a time... big respect!

Currently, I'm looking to drop 4 (maybe 5) sets of crank brothers pedals to go back to Shimano. I have some very old SPDs that were on my first mountain bike ('96 marin pine mountain that I still have) and another set that were stock on a 2000 homegrown which will both find homes on my commuter and the bike that sits on the trainer. I have two other bikes that I am a little more serious about and will have to purchase pedals for-

I read some reviews stating that the xtrs were more different than just the weight? are the bearings the same? are they the same "use" wise? Any other noticeable differences between the two?

I'd love to hear from others who have tried both etc.

big thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    On an extreme, the difference between XTR and lower, say, m540 (NOT 520) are the material. I think the overall constructions are pretty much the same between those models. I hear XTR having titanium axle compared to cro-mo axle on 540, and cages are probably lighter on XTR too (looks like more manipulated).

I bash pedals often and feel glad that I have cheap(er) 540 instead of XTR. Also I'm not a weight wheenie, so a little more weight doesn't bother me. But if you want the lightest, and don't mind abusing the blinger, then go with XTR.

Shimano still has a Japanese tendency to over engineer their high end stuff. Then trickels it down to lower models. I'm using their cheap deore hydro brakes made in Malaysia or somewhere with absolutely no issue. How cool is that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    the pedals will function the same, the difference is in the materials and the bearings. the xtr pedal still has a steel spindle, just a really nice one. the bearings are a higher quality and extremely round and the bearing races are polished after heat treatment to make them very smooth and even.
    like what was mentioned previously, the technology trickles down so even the lower end stuff has a very high quality and durability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh yeah I was wrong about the spindle. My bad.

Ultimated Outsider
    The biggest differece between XTR and the lower pedals like XT is that the XTR bindings are coated in flourine.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.