Thread: Shimano Fan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Shimano Fan

I have a 2007 SC Blur XC that I love. I ride on the weekends and for the last couple of years I've participated in a few amateur mtb events.

My rig has a mixture of Shimano components - mostly XT. The parts work really well for me. I really like the Shimano parts on my bike... Call me a fan.

However, this last weekend I had my rear derailleur break off in such a strange way. My friends advised that I contact Shimano and request a replacement part. I haven't tried to contact Shimano before, so when I went to their web site I was surprised to see their message about not accepting emails and only taking phone calls. I guess that's one way to keep their costs lower.

So, I thought that I'd share the pictures with the mtbr members and get an opinion if this was a typical failure mode or not. Personally, I think that Shimano would like to have this part in for inspection. Perhaps my pictures will serve the purpose.

The failure occurred while I was on a ride on Saturday in Weir Canyon Loop in Anaheim Hills. I was climbing a mild slope, and I came upon a small patch of mud (~3' in length and maybe 1-2" deep). I was going slow (gear selection was 1-3). There were tire tracks thru the mud and it wasn't deep so I went for it. The mud was fine, but I took note that had to push a little harder than expected to get thru it. As I was exiting the mud, I felt my pedals lighten and I thought that I had dropped my chain. When I finally stopped, I noticed that my RD was broken... and not just broken - torn off!

And just so you know, when I inspected the failed part, there was no mud on the drivetrain - it was still very clean. Tires were muddy, though.

Thankfully I didn't have to walk too far. Also, it didn't do too much damage - 1 wheel spoke mildly bent, small scratch in frame, and torn cable housing. New XT Shadow RD and XTR cables are now on order.

At any rate, it would be good to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    -Alan

Shimano Fan-broken-derailleur-01.jpg

Shimano Fan-broken-derailleur-03.jpg

Shimano Fan-broken-derailleur-04.jpg

Shimano Fan-broken-derailleur-05.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I wouldn't expect to get anything out of Shimano with 3 year old parts, so don't set your expectation too high. I belive you, that you were just riding along. Things break unfortunately, and I have seen Shimano or Sram do exactly the same thing. Your best bet is to go talk to the shop you bought the bike from - Shimano tends to talk to the dealer a little more than individual consumers.

And Shimano derailleur isn't rebuildable like Sram's, I don't think. You just need a new one.

29 some of the time...
    I agree that expecting anything much to happen on a component that is more than 1 year old would be getting your hopes up. I dunno, any number of reasons for the break to occur. Looks like the bike has seen some strikes to the area. Never know, you could have cracked it previously and it just eventually failed at the crack. You could have had a chainsuck that wrapped the derailleur up. A stick. A pebble. Gremlins?

Your best chance at any sort of warranty coverage would be to take it to your local shop and have them work directly with their Shimano rep. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

yorkshire mud monkey
    looking at the pics that rear mech has had some force to snap that, i would see the thin part snap, but the main body thats had a big hit some time and stressed it then finally gave in, ive gotta say the same as the rest you will be hard pushed to get it changed.
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks guys for the responses.

Yes, it was a JRA incident, but I was just surprised by the failure mode. From the input, I guess that it's not as uncommon as I thought it would be. I like the idea about taking it into the LBS where I bought the bike. I don't have much hopes for that either, but it couldn't hurt.

Moving forward, I've purchased the replacement parts and I'll be trying to install them soon so that I can get back out on the trail.

Cheers,
    -Alan

the catalan connection
    In a way, you´re lucky. You can tell how one of these shimano "fluor" coated rivets looks like! I´ve never seen one.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

ups and downs
    Certainly any impacts large enough to strip a section of derailleur housing bare are more than enough to start some fractures in the derailleur.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I think the housing was damaged when the derailleur broke and probably got pulled over the top of the cassette when he pedaled.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    Don't expect a thing.
    A few years ago was the "Summer of Deraillers" for my friend and I. Collectively we killed about 12 derailleurs, some of which were brand new, some were old. Most broke because they got hit by rocks or sticks, a couple (a few new ones) just broke randomly. Not a single one was warrantied.
    We ride singlespeed now.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    Don't expect a thing.
    A few years ago was the "Summer of Deraillers" for my friend and I. Collectively we killed about 12 derailleurs, some of which were brand new, some were old. Most broke because they got hit by rocks or sticks, a couple (a few new ones) just broke randomly. Not a single one was warrantied.
    We ride singlespeed now.
    That´s mainly distributors fault, not shimano´s.
    Two examples from my expierence:
    I tried to warrranty a Dual Control set trough Spain distributor a while back and in return I got the same levers but even worst damaged. I don´t know why I didn´t sue them. Bike shop was nice to me and gave me a nice deal on a new set.
    On the other side, I got a rear xtr rotor from Chain Reaction (online ratailer) that developed some play at the rivets. I sent it to them and after 2-3 weeks I got a new one at my door. Perfect.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot