Religion = Non-thinking

Shimano Deore vs Sram x5 RD

Which rear derailleur is better?
    what are the pros/cons of each?

whats to look for when comparing rear derailleurs?

~a noob
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2 dif. cable actuations I think. 1:1 and 2:1.Shifter compatibilities will be different.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Religion = Non-thinking
    haha now in laymens terms that means...
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    shimano rear shifters work with shimano rear deraileurs, and sram rear shifters work with sram rear deraileurs. The cable actuation is different for the 2 brands.
    i have more than you.

zarr

Religion = Non-thinking
    ic, is either model better in any way?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    ic, is either model better in any way?
    Dunno. Just make sure your shifters and deraileurs are compatible. That's all I know. Hope I helped out.
    i have more than you.

zarr

Religion = Non-thinking
    yea haha they are compatible, they're coming from the Rockhopper SL Expert...
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Sram

I used Shimano for almost ten years , until my last bike came with a set of SRAM X7 , instead of swapping it out , I decided to give it a go , wow , what a different , the SRAM is precise , love that click ,click ,click feel , it let you know you have changed gear , rode it hard over a year and did not have to fuzz with it once! From then on , I SRAM all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywatchthis
    I used Shimano for almost ten years , until my last bike came with a set of SRAM X7 , instead of swapping it out , I decided to give it a go , wow , what a different , the SRAM is precise , love that click ,click ,click feel , it let you know you have changed gear , rode it hard over a year and did not have to fuzz with it once! From then on , I SRAM all the way.
    Well, Shimano and Sram systems are both tried and proven, and being a true MTB affectionado and allegeged self appointed connoisseur, I would have to say I like them both...depending on which I choose to use on a particular day. It's like the debate on which is better, 26ers or 29ers or 650b. In other words, it's all good. I can feelit.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywatchthis
    Well, Shimano and Sram systems are both tried and proven, and being a true MTB affectionado and allegeged self appointed connoisseur, I would have to say I like them both...depending on which I choose to use on a particular day. It's like the debate on which is better, 26ers or 29ers or 650b. In other words, it's all good. I can feelit.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    I have had extensive expirience with both. With the shimano deore, I had to readjust it after every ride, and it was never quite right...it always ghost shifts, and skips over gears, and such. The high/low limit screws always need to be readjusted do to slippage. Also the slightest mud, and say goodbye to shifting. Just for comparison I was using deore LX trigger shifters with it.

Then I bought a bike with sram a sram x-5 derailleur, and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! What a difference!! The shifting is fast, and precise. Ive ridden in alot of mud and never once had a problem with the shifting getting clogged up. I adjusted the derailleur when I did my pre season tune up, and havent touched it since. Not even so much as lubing the cable. I have ridden at least every other day this year, most of the time on hard off road rides, in ALL weather conditions, and have not touched it once. It still works like the day it was new!! To be fair i am using much better shifters on the sram setup (XO twist grips) than on the shimano, so that could account for some difference, but even so SRAM IS WAY BETTER!!!!!!!
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I have had extensive expirience with both. With the shimano deore, I had to readjust it after every ride, and it was never quite right...it always ghost shifts, and skips over gears, and such. The high/low limit screws always need to be readjusted do to slippage. Also the slightest mud, and say goodbye to shifting. Just for comparison I was using deore LX trigger shifters with it.

Then I bought a bike with sram a sram x-5 derailleur, and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! What a difference!! The shifting is fast, and precise. Ive ridden in alot of mud and never once had a problem with the shifting getting clogged up. I adjusted the derailleur when I did my pre season tune up, and havent touched it since. Not even so much as lubing the cable. I have ridden at least every other day this year, most of the time on hard off road rides, in ALL weather conditions, and have not touched it once. It still works like the day it was new!! To be fair i am using much better shifters on the sram setup (XO twist grips) than on the shimano, so that could account for some difference, but even so SRAM IS WAY BETTER!!!!!!!
    Well, from what you're saying...as long as you keep the Deore set-up out of the mud (use ondry trails)...andput a dab of blue locktite on the limit screws and adjust your cables correctly...it's cool. Everything to its own. . I can dig it.
    i have more than you.

zarr

Religion = Non-thinking
    would this setup be worth $130?

Deore Shifters -> X.9 (+$80)
    Deore RD -> X.9 (+$50)
    Deore FD -> stays
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    would this setup be worth $130?

Deore Shifters -> X.9 (+$80)
    Deore RD -> X.9 (+$50)
    Deore FD -> stays
    remember that shimano shifters are made to be compatible with shimano derailleurs (Cable actuation), and Sram for Sram. don't mix them. Front derailleurs and shifters you can mix Sram and Shimano.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    In other words, you can have a Sramano shifting system in the front, but not the rear!
    i have more than you.

zarr

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    remember that shimano shifters are made to be compatible with shimano derailleurs (Cable actuation), and Sram for Sram. don't mix them. Front derailleurs and shifters you can mix Sram and Shimano.
    so can't do Sram shifters + Shimano FD, got that

isn't that the same as what i have listed in my last post?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    you can do sram shifters with a shimano FD just not a RD.
    www.r2rministry.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Well, from what you're saying...as long as you keep the Deore set-up out of the mud (use ondry trails)...andput a dab of blue locktite on the limit screws and adjust your cables correctly...it's cool. Everything to its own. . I can dig it.

Lol, yes and no. Because simply adjusting the cable correctly is almost impossible...with shimano it is much harder to work out small problems like overshifting, or double shifting..whatever you wanna call it (where you shift once, and it moves the chain 2 cogs over). Im not saying it cant be done, but sram is alot easier to adjust, and alot more hassle free. also check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYKvCLC23ww

I gotta think its better for the rd to stay still, because it seems like it is alot less likely to ghost shift
    www.r2rministry.org

mtbr member
    interesting thread, keep talking!
    I too am in a similar position. upgrade-itis perhaps more than anything.
    I have Deore LX shifters, Deore FD, Deore LX RD.
    I can get a very good deal on a new XT Shadow RD, (about half price!), and I would probably back that up this year with XT shifters. but from what I'm reading and the mixed review of the XT Shadow RD I'm having second thoughts and thinking if I'm going to change things maybe I should switch things over to SRAM. the sureness that people are describing when they shift is getting me going

mtbr member
    I think SRAM does a better job with the low and midrange stuff, while XT, X9, XTR, XO are all very awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was a life long Shimano user until I got a SRAM RD on my last bike .. love the define click- click shifting of the SRAM RD and no fuss maintenance , must say SRAM does great in RD.