Waiting for Godot

shimano cranks from 73mm to 68mm frame?

i have a shimano hone crankset on a bike(73mm BB) that i want to transfer temporally to another frame(68mm BB). is this possible? or will the cranks stick out too far? the BB spacer too long?
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

bored ex-shop rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

The Shimano BB's are compatible with 68mm and 73mm, you need some spacer,
    see here and here, you can get the spacer from
    a good local bike shop or they can order the spare parts
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

metrotuned WoS

Shimano Saint Chainline Single Chainring No Bashring

Noob here. There are three 2.5mm spacers on the bottom bracket: 1 on left and 2 on right arm side. I have the Shimano Saint first generation crankset. Just removed 32T chainring and 32T bashring and would like to run the replacement 40T chainring on the outer part of crankset instead of the inner (both work). The chainline is affected when the chainring is used on the outer, thrown at least 5mm. Is it possible to remove the 2 spacers on the right arm side bottom bracket completely or do I have to add them to the left arm to retain all three spacers? I am using a Chris King Bottom Bracket.

Here's a pic of the chainring mounted to the inside. Looks like a DXR crankset! BTW, the chainring is a 40T and there is more than 5mm of space to the chainstay so clearance is fine. I'd like to mount the chainring to the outer and maintain chainline. Input about the spacers please...

p.s. was bummed that the second generation Saint bashring / bashguard is incompatible (without modification or grinding) with the first generation Saint crankset!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shimano cranks from 73mm to 68mm frame?-metrotuned_saint_chainline.jpg  

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

metrotuned WoS
    OK, self-answered. Got support from Shimano 949-951-5003 directly. Turns out with the bottom bracket 68mm, need to run all three 2.5mm spacers for the spindle. So, Shimano confirmed I can place all three spacers on the non-drive side to correct chainline and to have the chainring on the outer. Offset 5mm which is not noticeable for most riding. Typically, with single chainring setups, Shimano recommends the chainring on the inside of spider as pictured in the above post. Was also checking out Commencal's Supreme DH and the Saint setup on the world championships elite downhill bikes have the Saint setup as pictured above (bottom bracket is different).
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout