Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    g3h6o3

Shimano 2012 XT group

Mtbr article and photos here:

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2011/04/14/...ps-xt-for-2012
    /

Hello,
    It's the time of year when we start to see the first pics of the upcoming group. I'm sure there's someone out there which has some info on the new 2012 XT group. Any info that can be revealed? I'm most interested in the brakes, which I'll probably purchase as soon as they come out if they follow the new XTR design. Pics? Specs? Test ride reports? Anything?

C y'all
    Last edited by francois; 04-14-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm hoping for short, medium and long rear mechs, double chainset options with matching front mechs for all mount types, 83mm bb shell chainset, i-spec and new brakes. Maybe even a 9t small cog cassette option like capreo/sram/hope so that you can use smaller chainrings for equivalent gearing to a 11t cassette.

Warrior's Society
    It's Shimano.....knowing them, they are going to completely try to re-invent the wheel again.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

g3h6o3
    The new Acera, Taigra, Deore and SLX have been made public... I'm anxious!

I want some new XT pics!!!

mtbr member
    I think the only new item for the XT group you will see this year is new brakes.

Erik

mtbr member

2012 Xt

I think Eric has the inside track and is spot on that the only Hydro brakes will have a re-design just like the recently published SLX brakes at bikeradar.com.

I am looking forward for the re-design of the rapid fire shifters of the XT inorder to complement the new design of the brake levers like the XTRs.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    I think the only new item for the XT group you will see this year is new brakes.

Erik
    Yep, you're probably right, and that's the only thing I'm after!

2012 is suppoosedly the year of XT. They might have thrown the 4 year rule out the window though. We'll see but it does seem like they'll revamp all the brakes then move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Yep, you're probably right, and that's the only thing I'm after!

2012 is suppoosedly the year of XT. They might have thrown the 4 year rule out the window though. We'll see but it does seem like they'll revamp all the brakes then move on.
    Shimano is coming out with some new stuff, but its not new XT. What you will see is some new road DI2 and the lower Deore MTB. I think the dura ace stuff is project for this model year.

What I want to see from the XT group is a 24/36 all mountain crank. I would even like to see SRAM make this crank in an X9 or X0 style.

Although I will never afford it. I would like to see a DI2 mountain set.

Erik

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    Although I will never afford it. I would like to see a DI2 mountain set.
    Electronics on a mountain bike???? Am I the only one that comes across a significant amount of wet terrain when riding? Though I am sure we will see it someday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I reckon we might get more than new xt brakes, if that's all they were doing wouldn't they have shown us them at the same time as the slx? here's hoping anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy
    Electronics on a mountain bike???? Am I the only one that comes across a significant amount of wet terrain when riding? Though I am sure we will see it someday.
    The pro's been using it in a cross season or two, and has worked for them. I can almost guarantee you the guys racing cyclocross in Europe with DI2 are using it in more water/mud then you would on a mtb ride.

mtbr member

Shimano XT 2012

Here's a pic of new Shimano XT 2012 groupset.
    It's an unofficial pic of course, but as the XTR , this pic is a sneak peak of the new groupset.

Crankset looks essential, it'll be Dyna Sys concept with 42-32-24 combination and probably with 2 double ring crankset.
    Brakes are similar to the new XTR with new brake levers and Ice-Tech rotors. Rear derailler could have probaby a carbon cage and will be Shadow concept.

mtbr member
    Wow,

Didn't see that coming. Good find. Maybe they are waiting for the Taiwan bike show to release that info.

Erik

mtbr member
    Noway, rumors says that Shimano will show it at Sea Otter. Let's see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any chance of a parts list like the xtr leak last year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was really hoping the 2012 XT group wasn't going to look almost exactly the same as it has for the past 5ish years. I've always been a fan of XT, but it's starting to get boring. Silver cranks bother me the most... even the SLX cranks seem to be more appealing. Sure hope they come out with 2x crank options, otherwise I have a feeling they're going to lose more of the market share to SRAM. On a positive note I think the new XT brakes will be a nice upgrade.

mtbr member
    I totally agree with you tiflow. Those cranks donīt look bad in any way, but they look barely like a new design. Silver crank arms on a silver rotor with black chainwheels. This is the third edition of XT cranks that look virtually the same. People not into mountainbiking would even have a hard time to tell one from another. I was really hoping for Shimano to show their, still unquestioned, leadership in manufacturing alloy. Black and hollow anyone?
    I went with the new Truvativ AKA crankset, which is more or less the X9 crank for a fraction of the price and looks a lot like I think the new XT should have.

mtbr member
    I prefer silver cranks. Don't like any type of finish wearing off over time.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member

quick photoshopping in my lunch break

Name:  91369593.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  51.4 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks like a 2 piece caliper instead of the usual 1 piece one for xt, verly similar to the slx but with a bolt not split pin holding the pads in. Seems like a downgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my crystal ball shows black version......

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    [...] I'm most interested in the brakes, which I'll probably purchase as soon as they come out if they follow the new XTR design. [...]
    Exactly my thought. But the brakes should be black, not the XTR silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Recinto
    I think Eric has the inside track and is spot on that the only Hydro brakes will have a re-design just like the recently published SLX brakes at bikeradar.com.
    [...]
    Could you provide the link? I couldn't find it on bikeradar.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_sparthan
    Here's a pic of new Shimano XT 2012 groupset.
    It's an unofficial pic of course, but as the XTR , this pic is a sneak peak of the new groupset.

[...]
    Oh no, the brakes are in silver! And they have this ugly cooling fin. But I think, that's part of the brake pad, so it's changeable

The German distributor told me that the selling of the new XT parts will start in July.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I was gonna buy the xtr but would've stretch my budget so this great news. I wish it will have bb30 version crank? Guess I can wait for 6 months when there out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I doubt there will be any bb30 shimano cranks in the near future though there are definately adapters to allow 24mm cranks to be fitted to bb30 frames, the other option is to use a fsa chainset if you don't want to mix sram and shimano.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast