Thread: Sham on Shimano

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Upset Sham on Shimano

I'm currently building up a new ride and purchased a XT crankset only to fine that you need a special Shimano tool (TL-FC18) to install the crank. A TL-FC18 is an inexpensive plastic spline wrench that isn't readily available and IMO should be included with the crankset. I contacted Shimano Customer Service with my complaint and they told me that I needed to order this tool through a local dealer.

Bad form.

Here's the ugly part of the issue, this special tool sell for $1 to 3 dollars. What does it cost Shimano to make? Maybe 5 or 10 cent. Luckly I contacted Speedgoat, where I pruchased my build kit, and they agreed to supply me with a TL-FC18 free of charge. They sell the tool for $1.08.

An example of how it should be done is the Mavic wheelset that I purchased years ago which came with a special spoke and cone wrench. Seems like Shimano could include a TL-FC18 when the sell a XT Crankset. Shimano needs to rethink its customer service model.

trail fairy
    Dude that's std Shimano practice that system has been around at least since 2003

With the old system square or octalink ya needed a special tool BBT 2 for Oct if mem serves which was a total pain in the arse and ten time more expensive for BBs and the tools.

Everyone should have an external BB tool that plastic thig can be undone by hand if you loosen the pinch bolts first, its only to pul the crank onto the spline before torquing up.

RF ya use a 8mm allen but still need a BB tool for the bottom brackets least they 3 times less in cost to internal BBs and easy to service

I use most things non Shimnao where they std up relibility wise.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I can understand the frustration - they have got a lot better than the octalink days, but I agree that including the tool would be much more efficient for less $$, as Trailadvent mentioned can usually be done by hand, and if need be, sometimes you can fit a tool in it to loosen it up then do the rest by hand.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Dude that's std Shimano practice that system has been around at least since 2003

Indeed!

Hi Trailadvent Hows it going?

mtbr member
    Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open them up inside the spline and tighten it that way. You won't get much torque on it. You shouldn't have much anyway. ttyl, Fahn

29 some of the time...
    Meh...

Very few components ship with tools to install them. The bicycle industry IMO is far better about this than many other hobby industries.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    My XTR crankset came with the Removal tool. I was surprised to see that.

But I am not sure what you are complaining about. Did you expect it to come with the tool to install the bottom bracket too?
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    You're comparing a 5 cent piece of plastic to an actual wrench.

mtbr member
    More like a 20cent piece of cast (in the case of a socket) or stamped (in the case of a wrench) metal.

The point is that you can't expect parts to come with tools. Were you this disappointed after buying a chain to find out it didn't come with a chain breaker? That your cassette didn't come with a chainwhip and removal tool? That your brakes didn't come with a bleed kit?
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If it were like this, by now I'd have more tools than parts to service...

Do it all or nothing
    Umm new bb wrenchs come with one built in...
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong356
    Umm new bb wrenchs come with one built in...
    Yep, almost all external bb tools has the little plastic star wrench thing built it. Others have it on the other side of the socket, if it is that type. What are you using to install the BB? The Park tool BB30-t or whatever it is has it, so does IceToolz BB socket.

Warrior's Society
    When Shimano first started selling the external BB cranks, they used to include the BB wrench and the plastic lockring tool. Over the last couple of years, they seem to have stopped that practice. We used to have dozens of those narrow steel BB wrenches at the shop were customers did want them. Seemed like every bike we recieved with these cranks came with the tools.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    our shop gives those plastic instal pieces away. your lbs should let you use it. if not they shouldn't be your lbs

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    butter knife works just fine---

bog
    mtbr member
    A dime also fits in there really well. This is great to remember if it comes loose on the trail. Finding a rock or stick to do the job is really tough .... believe me!
    SC Tallboy C : Spec Enduro 29 : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9000

mtbr member
    my XT-08 box came with that tool included

...idios...
    Have you called a waahhmbulance?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Shikaka!
    IMO, it's not whining. Shimano does have this idiotic thing of small tools excluded from expensive stuff like a crank. Making your life harder and less likely to buy Shimano next time since you don't know what hassle waits for you. I had to make eights in the air to get stupid, very expensive, centerlock to 6 bolt adapters by shimano to fit my XT wheels...probably get Mavic next time.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    including the tool would be much more efficient for less $$,
    So now I'd have three sets of those tools...
    Show me a square taper BB/Crank, cassette, or headset that comes with the tools needed for installation and uninstallation.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Anybody want one of those T25 'L' wrenches Avid includes with every single BB7? I must have 10 of them sitting around. Useless.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

bog
    mtbr member
    Why not just use centerlock rotors? Also, be careful when buying your next set of Mavic wheels because they make centerlock hubs also.

It's definitely too much to ask for every manufacturer to ship installation tools with every part. It would make every part more expensive and is a gong show environmentally. When I installed my new Elixirs I had to shorten the hose and did a bleed after that. I sure didn't expect Avid to send a bleed kit with my new brakes!
    SC Tallboy C : Spec Enduro 29 : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_ventura
    IMO, it's not whining. Shimano does have this idiotic thing of small tools excluded from expensive stuff like a crank. Making your life harder and less likely to buy Shimano next time since you don't know what hassle waits for you. I had to make eights in the air to get stupid, very expensive, centerlock to 6 bolt adapters by shimano to fit my XT wheels...probably get Mavic next time.
    very few parts come with the required tools to install or remove them.
    no cassette comes with a lockring tool or chain whip.
    no chain comes with a chain cutter.
    No fork comes with a steer-tube cutter or star nut installer.
    all of these parts require special tools, why would you expect the crank to come with its dedicated tool?