Thread: shadow+ RD's

WWJR

shadow+ RD's

question. When/why would you ever turn the clutch to the "off" poistion??
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just to remove the wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    also to service the clutch

Category Winner
    Also to demonstrate how cool it is.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Also to demonstrate how cool it is.
    rofl.
    btw, this thing is dead quiet. it makes the chain silent. And i want to say the shifting is a little crisper too. direct mount rd hanger is on its way. i think those 2 together will work awesome. + the back wheel will be a breeze to take off/on.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    You also need to switch it off when or if your chain comes off during a ride. FYI. Its easier to put back on with it switched off.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Beware of the Shadow + and that clutch. Yes it is quiet - awesome is in that regard. But beware of random trail debris. Sticks, etc.... sometimes get caught in the wheel or drive train. The Shadow + is so rigid when the clutch in engaged that it restricts the RD's full range of movement. I know of two people who's Shadow + RD's were destroyed beyond repair due to a stick getting caught the drive train and the derailuer just twisted apart because that clutch kept the RD rigid and the debris couldn't work its way out. I myself have broken two RD hangers due the Shadow +. We are all experienced riders, each with 20+ years riding. Never had these kind of issues until we all got the Shimano Shadow +.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My XT Shadow + is terrific. Only downside I can think of is the added tension (and added force needed for front chainring upshifts) is going to wear out cables more quickly, and probably chains too. A small price to pay, in my view, for such a clean, quiet, reliable drivetrain.

I have a hard time understanding, from a physics point of view, why the Shadow + would be more vulnerable to problems with sticks or other debris. Those problems occur when something jams in the cage/jockey wheels and locks the chain so that continued pedaling force on the chain pulls the cage backwards and up and either twists it or snaps the hanger (or both). It can happen just as easily with a low-tension RD, as I know from experience, and I think it has little to do with how experienced a rider you are -- if you are pedaling when the stick goes into the cage, it is going to happen if the stick causes a jockey wheel to freeze and doesn't break or run through. I suppose the added tension on that part of the chain could make it a bit more difficult for sticks once caught in there to slide out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As far as added tension from upshifts, I haven't noticed it a bit. Actually, when I installed the Shadow+ r.d. my upshifts got easier, but that's because I also installed new cables and housings. So, to me, the age of my cables makes a much bigger difference on shifting effort than the Shadow+ clutch does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Shadow + horror stories -- just snapped one in half myself

Quote Originally Posted by tacos&beer View Post
    Beware of the Shadow + and that clutch. Yes it is quiet - awesome is in that regard. But beware of random trail debris. Sticks, etc.... sometimes get caught in the wheel or drive train. The Shadow + is so rigid when the clutch in engaged that it restricts the RD's full range of movement. I know of two people who's Shadow + RD's were destroyed beyond repair due to a stick getting caught the drive train and the derailuer just twisted apart because that clutch kept the RD rigid and the debris couldn't work its way out. I myself have broken two RD hangers due the Shadow +. We are all experienced riders, each with 20+ years riding. Never had these kind of issues until we all got the Shimano Shadow +.
    I think the main issue here is that the RD won't expand easily when it sucks something in (like your chain slipping off of the jockey wheel for whatever reason) so it will break instead of 'shift' out of the way.

I just did this on Sunday, not sure if I hit something but I suspect my chain was too long b/c I'd swapped in a 22t front chainring on an XT 2x10, see " Beware of the 14t limit: Don't add a 22t chainring to Shimano XT 26x38 2x10" at the end of the "Shimano XT FC-M785 Crankset 38X26T - 24t possible?" thread for the full story.