mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Shadow Plus - Chain slap?

I've demoed a bike with one of these and was great.. I remember noticing how silent it was.. however, I can't remember if that was due to having a chainstay protector or not?

I saw one of these derailleurs mounted on a bike at the LBS. With the clutch engaged, I noticed that while there was enough tension to keep the chain from slapping the bottom of the chainstay, above the chainstay, the chain is very loose and could easily slap. Is this the case with all the XTR+ derailleurs? Or does that have to do with the adjustment?

Basically, would I need a chain stay protector when running an XTR+?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would recomend using some sort of chainstay protection as slap will occur, just not nearly as much as with a regular deraileur.

mtbr member
    Yes mate, the shadow+ main purpose is to keep the chain from slipping off the crank rings, not so much quieten the ride... even though that is a advertised feature.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting one..

Totally understand that the primary purpose is to keep the chain on. However, I just noticed the chain being able to flop around quite a bit. The area of the chain below the chainstay is nice and tensioned from the clutch, however, above the chainstay the chain moves around just as much as any other derailleur. I'm not sure if I'm just setting it up incorrectly or if this is the way it's supposed to be?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ShralpSauce View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting one..

Totally understand that the primary purpose is to keep the chain on. However, I just noticed the chain being able to flop around quite a bit. The area of the chain below the chainstay is nice and tensioned from the clutch, however, above the chainstay the chain moves around just as much as any other derailleur. I'm not sure if I'm just setting it up incorrectly or if this is the way it's supposed to be?
    You sure that there isn't excessive drag on the freehub body?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The derailleur can only change tension under the chainrings and cassette. Tension on the top side is controlled by pedaling forces. A derailleur would not last one mile under the forces the topside sees.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It is possible to adjust the tension, you might just need to crank it up. Mine makes no noise, its kind of creepy
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    The derailleur can only change tension under the chainrings and cassette. Tension on the top side is controlled by pedaling forces. A derailleur would not last one mile under the forces the topside sees.
    Thanks! Just couldn't figure out why it was so silent on the bike I demo'd. Probably had a chainstay protector and I didn't notice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hmm.. I'll double check on that. It's a bit noisy in rough stuff..

mtbr member
    Most of the noisy chainslap comes from the underside of the chainstay and not the top. If you watch am MB video in slow motion you can see where all the action is. The top side moves but it does not have the growth that the underside does which keeps the chain from hitting the top of the chainstay. The bottom side especially on a full suspension bike has a ton of potential for growth as the suspention moves witht the terrain.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does this seem right?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes that is correct. Tension above the centerline of the cassette and chainrings is controlled by pedaling. The harder you pedal the more tension. You can check that by pushing on the chain while riding hard. Make sure to film it too. (That was a joke, please do not actually try it.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    OK. I understand it tensions when you pedal.. Just noticed lots of noise going thru rocky sections. Guess its that upper area since I'm not pedaling through them.

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by ShralpSauce View Post
    OK. I understand it tensions when you pedal.. Just noticed lots of noise going thru rocky sections. Guess its that upper area since I'm not pedaling through them.
    Try shifting to the middle or big ring to elevate the chain above the chainstay.

Vid makes it look like your chain is in the 22/24.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm running a single ring.. 11/34 in the video.

Ninja Master Powers
    I'm running a XTR Shadow + and a chain tensioner on my Nomad C. There is zero noise and zero dropped chains.