mtbr member

Serious problems bleeding XTR M985 brakes

Posted this in the brake forum too. Hoping anyone can shed some light on this.

I have been screwing with these brakes for far too long at this point. I bleed them and they feel fine with the bleed block in place. As soon as I replace the block with the pads and put my wheel back on.....The lever bottoms right out to the bars. What the hell gives? Anyone have an idea of what's going on here? And how to fix it. Thanks

Shane

mtbr member
    After you remove the blocks, replace the pads and the wheels, do you pump up the lever a few times to prime it? If that doesn't work and your lever still bottoms out, you still have air in the system. Did you try moving the angle of the brake lever up and down per the instructions?

mtbr member
    Didn't do the lever angle stuff. Will try tomorrow. Too tired. I don't have their funnel. I'm just using a syringe. Is that going to make a difference?

mtbr member
    There is still air in the system. The air might be in the lines also (not just the caliper or lever). At which point, you will have to push a substantial amount of mineral oil from the caliper to the lever to push the air out (tapping the caliper and lines to dislodge any air). Using a syring at the lever (without the plunger) should be fine. That is what I use also...