red rock roller
    Mar 2011

Saint Freehub Problem

I recently installed a never used FH-800 rear Saint hub and within the first 50 miles of use I busted the free hub on a moderate climb. After which the cassette would spin freely in both directions with no sound or resistance. I took it apart and noticed that the ratchet tooth spring tension was just about non-existant and that there were only 2 teeth inside and normal wear marks on the freewheel body was evident where the teeth were. The freewheel body had 3 spaces 120deg apart with one tooth space showing no wear. I have to assume Shimano intended for there to be three ratchet teeth that are held in place on the freewheel body with a small retaining ring.

I looked at the exploded view and it doesn't show or indicate how many teeth are to be there. So does anyone know how many teeth are in there? If there are 3, can I get one, or a set of 3 or do I need to get the whole freewheel body? Where does one find such parts?

Any help or advise is appreciated!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    How long have you had this hub? If you bought it from a dealer I would take it back for a warranty claim, or at least try. Unfortunately the M800 series Saint is a few years old now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "teeth". Are you referring to pawls? Not that it matters I do not know how many the hub should have. In any case Shimano do not supply spare parts for freehub bodies. This from the Installation Instructions for the hub:

"Note:
    Do not attempt to disassemble the freewheel
    body, because it may result in a malfunction."

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

red rock roller
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    How long have you had this hub? If you bought it from a dealer I would take it back for a warranty claim, or at least try. Unfortunately the M800 series Saint is a few years old now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "teeth". Are you referring to pawls? Not that it matters I do not know how many the hub should have. In any case Shimano do not supply spare parts for freehub bodies. This from the Installation Instructions for the hub:

"Note:
    Do not attempt to disassemble the freewheel
    body, because it may result in a malfunction."

Ronnie.
    I have had the hub installed for about a month. I got it from a friend who bought it as a spare back up but never needed it for over 4 years. From what you are saying, it sounds like a new hub is in order but if I can break a Saint hub on an easy uphill climb then perhaps it is not strong enough for me (I can squat over 400lbs) so I will need a stronger hub than a Saint product! Nor am I willing to pay more than $200 for a rear hub. The LBS suggested a single speed setup, at least with this setup, it will be ALOT cheaper to replace hubs!

mtbr member
    From what I understand you have damaged the freewheel body only, so that is all you need to replace, not the whole hub. Your freehub may have been faulty from the beginning. If I was you I get one of them first.

I've been using a set of Saint M810 hubs for over a year and they have been flawless.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

red rock roller
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    From what I understand you have damaged the freewheel body only, so that is all you need to replace, not the whole hub. Your freehub may have been faulty from the beginning. If I was you I get one of them first.

I've been using a set of Saint M810 hubs for over a year and they have been flawless.

Ronnie.
    Is there anything stronger and more durable than Saint for a rear hub? The LBS didn't seem to be surprised that I was able to break it, so I'm thinking Saint is not strong enough to get me up a small incline. I was told by other riders that my aggresive style is not out of the ordinary and parts should not be breaking because of it, they are at a loss for words as to why stuff keeps breaking.