Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saint CS for XC/All Mtn

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  AL29er 
#1 ·
How many of you use a Saint crankset for XC or All mtn riding??? I notice that these cranksets are pretty light for being classified for DH use. I'm wondering if they will be overkill for aggressive XC riding as I am considering buying a set.

#2 ·
solarity said:
How many of you use a Saint crankset for XC or All mtn riding??? I notice that these cranksets are pretty light for being classified for DH use. I'm wondering if they will be overkill for aggressive XC riding as I am considering buying a set.
they look sweet. my FSA/Holzfeller isn't very stiff, so i've been eyeing these for my all around rig for a long time. i just don't like having to buy new tools along with the new cranks. if the tools were dirt cheap i' would have had them a long time ago....

yes they're heavy, but stiff is king!

#4 ·
It all depends on how much you weigh and how hard you are on your bike. I have the saint crankset, but i am 190lbs and i love them. I would suggest the xt's if you are a lighter rider, but definately not the xtrs. They are way too expensive, and are meant strictly for xc, not as stiff. Everything about the saints is better except for the weight, so go ahead and get them unless you are worried about weight. 300g isn't going to affect your AM ride. Good luck

#6 ·
I have run xt and saint cranks for am and dh for the last 3 years. Since the intro of the 2pc cranks I have not run into any problems with either set. The saints are stiffer, but it is barely detectable when pedaling. The xt have held up to over 2 seasons of use and are over a pound lighter. For all but a dh specific bike I vote that the xt are strong enough :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.