Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saint

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  nuclear_powered 
#1 ·
Hey guys...kinda simple question that might have been asked...

anyways... i'll go for it anyways :madman:

Is Saint considered the best components for FR/DH compared to other manufacturers ? (drivetrain, hubs etc...)

or is this just preference? :skep:

#2 ·
I would say a big NO to that one.

The saint crank is considered one of the best cranks. Saint brakes are very good brakes if you can avoid the proprietary oversize centrelock rotors and just run normal 6 bolt rotors.

Most FR/DH riders prefer a SRAM drivetrain. The 1:1 ratio of SRAM is more forgiving and SRAM derailleurs don't bounce around like Shimano.

The Saint rear derailleur is/was rapid rise, and requires a special hub for mounting. Neither of these caught on and hardly anybody uses them.

Hope, Hadley, DT-Swiss make the more popular high end FR/DH hubs in my experience. The best brakes would be something like Avid Code or Hope M6, but they are expensive and most people are running Avid Juicys or whatever came stock on the bike which a lot of the time is Hayes 9 HD.

Hope this helps, but you have to keep in mind that what is the "best" is always someone's opinion.

#3 ·
not true

:confused: :confused: :confused:
oldskoolbiker said:
The Saint rear derailleur is/was rapid rise, and requires a special hub for mounting. Neither of these caught on and hardly anybody uses them.

The Saint RD is available in low- normal and high-normal (regular) and is not propietary to the saint hub. It is proprietary to a 10 mm or 12 mm through axle only. if your bike/rear hub is 10x135 then you can use your existing hub with the saint RD. you just have to replace the through axle with the saint one. same rules apply for 12x150mm rear ends

Hope, Hadley, DT-Swiss make the more popular high end FR/DH hubs in my experience. The best brakes would be something like Avid Code or Hope M6, but they are expensive and most people are running Avid Juicys or whatever came stock on the bike which a lot of the time is Hayes 9 HD.

Hope this helps, but you have to keep in mind that what is the "best" is always someone's opinion.

As you just said "best" is someone's opinion, but in the paragraph before you say the avid and hope are the best brakes. Are you stating facts or opinions????
I actually think the code brake is a P.O.S.
How can it be the "Best" if I think it's a P.O.S.
In my opinion Saint brakes are the "Best":thumbsup:

#4 ·
Dover,

I figured that saying "Hope this helps, but you have to keep in mind that what is the "best" is always someone's opinion." was enough to convey what I said was my opinion.

Now you let your opinion known which is fine also. The OP who is obviously a newb just wanted to know if "Saint" was the best. I was just trying to convey that there are other options which people may consider the "best".

I too run Saint brakes, but I don't think Codes are a POS actually Codes have a lot more stopping power than the Saints, too much for me, but for my friend who weighs 230 lbs they are perfect for him.

#5 ·
saint is really good,and at 207 pounds stop me fine.

also the rear mech dosnt bounce it has bumper stops in,and you can get top normal by ordering the m801 or m806.

hub wise they are much better than hope hubs in my opinion and after 6 months hard riding in uk weather still run sweet as when they did new.

yeah the center lock is a pain but so nice to use.

#6 ·
konut said:
yeah the center lock is a pain but so nice to use.
Just curiously, what's painful about it if it's so nice to use?

I'm a bit of a centrelock fan - I guess because I'm a shimano fan. I always wonder what people find wrong with the centrelock system other than the fact that it means you're more than likely using Shimano components? (DT Swiss obviously thought it was an OK system since their hubs have a centrelock option...)

#7 · (Edited)
Saint works well for me :)

Iused to not really care much for Shimano parts. I got a hold a hold of some Saint hydros and then came the Saint cranks. (Single ring) I used to be pure Race Face Diabolous for DH Cranks. But after trying out the Saint goods I liked them! Of course I use the XT 6 bolt 8in rotors on my Hadley hubs though and they work nicely. I am a big guy too 5'11 235-240 with full dh gear. I have run the Saint brakes down Freight Train at Whistler and turned my rotors blue from the heat a couple of times and they didnt skip a beat. I was impressed since i was coming off Magura Gustav Hydros that ran on a floating calipers with huge brake pads. They are huge stoppers no joke on that! lol But pretty heavy! The Saint hydros have been the easiest brakes i have ever worked on. So simple to do almost anything on them. I use Goodridge braided lines which make a nice difference. Most people that have grabbed my brakes tell me they love the feel they have. But when it comes to shifters and ders its the other big S for me! SRAM XO just rocks for the reaction and crisp shfting they have. The rear ders have nice stiff rear springs that hold the chain really well with not too much chain slapping. Drivetrain is pretty quiet. SRAM XO or X9 triggers are nice too. Hadley hubs have been awesome. Ihave used them for 5 years now and not a single issue with them! They come in lots of colors, very nice quality and have a nice sound too! :) I also used Ringle hubs for awhile too and they were great as were my Chris Kings. Anyway, thats just my opinion about some of the goodies you asked about. :thumbsup: I have tried a lot of the parts during Interbike as well. I agree that you dont see much of the Saint drivetrain around, brakes and cranks mainly is what gets used from what i have seen over the years. Like i said i just wanted to give my input and opinnion. Not looking for a flame out here or anything.:D LOL Take care and good luck with you choices! :thumbsup:

Happy Holidays guys,
IntenseRdr
07 SOCOM
08 M6 coming soon! :cornut: :band:

#9 ·
I have found saint cranks and brakes are the best brakes combining weight and performance. The saint derailer is an amazing piece of engeniering. buy it has a few draw backs as well as advantages, (-s heavy,to ;ight a spring which makes it jump around and not shift as well when the terrrian is really rough) (+s it is tough and will not brake or bend unless you crash really hard and alot of the crash force is on the rear derailer. My r derialer looks like I hit it with a hammer and it still shifts well. Without it I would be on my second or third derailer.The hubs are great for the money my only complaint is they are really heavy compared to hadleys

#10 · (Edited)
konut said:
sorry nuclear a pain as far as extra tooling and you have to use saint rotors,although i have found that the saint rotors are nice and stiff compared to hayes.
OK ... I think I get what you meant now. Great unit - but you need to special tools. Though I was under the impression that a shimano centrelock brake ring uses the same tool as a shimano cassete lock ring?

In any case, I am planning a 6 - 7in All Mountain rig and am debating what to do about the brakes. I've been thinking Saint for a while, but I noticed the new '08 XT has better technology than Saint (in the hub/brakes arena), and both have one piece calipers. So I'm wondering if Saint brakes have anything over the new XT anymore?

#11 ·
nuclear_powered said:
OK ... I think I get what you meant now. Great unit - but you need to special tools. Though I was under the impression that a shimano centrelock brake ring uses the same tool as a shimano cassete lock ring?

In any case, I am planning a 6 - 7in All Mountain rig and am debating what to do about the brakes. I've been thinking Saint for a while, but I noticed the new '08 XT has better technology than Saint (in the hub/brakes arena), and both have one piece calipers. So I'm wondering if Saint brakes have anything over the new XT anymore?
What, the Genius is not hardcore enough? What are you planning to get?

#12 ·
nuclear_powered said:

on the saint hubs you need an oversize spline tool,although i did here that the new xtr with 20mm through hub maybe the same size.

and far as i can tell on the calipers the only difference is the saint have banjo mounting and the new xt has not,small niggle for such a nice looking new brake.:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Hud said:
What, the Genius is not hardcore enough? What are you planning to get?
Well ... don't get me wrong - the Genius is perfect for 90% of the riding I do. I just want to do a 'build up' bike using parts from here and there. Kinda like your Superlight. And the 10% I want to cover is a bike for 'fun' days out at the Youies, or for taking to Buller or anywhere else in the highlands ... or for if I get my arse over to Nth America long term one day.

I'm thinking a Ransom (alloy, 2nd hand) at this stage. And Saint components are a possibility.

It's low on the priority list though. Reno's come first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.