Thread: Saint 10 speed?

mtbr member

Saint 10 speed?

I've destroyed a few rear derailleurs this year and have decided that Saint looks like a good option. I'd like to go 11-36 10 speed though and ditch the granny ring up front. Is there any news on what might be happening to the Saint groupset, if anything? Or should i just go for XT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm actually talking to a customer about this right now.
    Last edited by redrider11; 02-09-2011 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't think a Saint short cage will work on an 11-36 cassette. The chain wrap capacity of a short cage Saint is 23 teeth, and the spread of an 11-36 tooth cassette is 25 teeth. Therefore, you'll either have to have a floppy chain or run the risk of ripping your derailleur off because your chain is too short. You could run an 11-34 tooth cassette no problem, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    max is 11-28 for the long cage....just got 1 installed , u can convert it to DH by removing a clip than its only compatible with 11-23 or 12-25 cassettes otherwise if u dont remove the clip, its on all mountain mode and max compatible with a 11-28 cassette (Shimano SLX / Saint Cassette CS-HG 80 9-speed) .
    hope this helps

mtbr member
    As stated above the Saint option will not work. If you have a habit of destroying derailleurs get a SLX 10-sp and save some dough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    slx rears ar superb for the price idd, nice, keeps chain stiff enough for most riding style and smooth shifting.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKever View Post
    max is 11-28 for the long cage....just got 1 installed , u can convert it to DH by removing a clip than its only compatible with 11-23 or 12-25 cassettes otherwise if u dont remove the clip, its on all mountain mode and max compatible with a 11-28 cassette (Shimano SLX / Saint Cassette CS-HG 80 9-speed) .
    hope this helps
    Actually, using the 'AM' setting on the mode converter will let you fit up to a 11-34 tooth cassette. 9spd only.

Mine:
    Saint 10 speed?-img_2328.jpg

Shimano tech document:
    Saint 10 speed?-saintrddoc.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Evasive, ur totally right ! I overlooked the mode converter idd. But pls note this derailleur only works nicely with the following cassettes: CS-HG80 (9speed Saint/SLX), CS-770 (9speed XT) CS-6500(9speed Ultegra). But double check in what mode ur riding/ or want to ride.

sorry for my mistake guys.

Kev