Daf
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Replacement brake pad question, please

Ack! So I did search but actually became more confused as to what I need due to the endless amount of variations of Shimano brakes. So would someone please tell me exactly what replacement pads I need? I have a '05 Epic Comp Disc - on the brakes it says Deore XT - that's all I know. I don't want to pull out the pads until I have the replacements ready so I don't have any part #s. As I search I'm running across lots of varieties of Shimano pads, descriptions like "fits mthis# and m#thatnumber - but have yet to see one that specifically says for Deore XT from that year.

Also - please - what type do I want? Metal, Resin, organic? I just do some trail riding in dry conditions for the most part.

Thank you!
    Daf

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My friend has the exact same bike, the brakes are the M765 series Deore XTs. If you want Shimano pads, you will need the M06 or M07S, which are the metal and resin versions, respectively. I prefer metallic pads since they last longer and give more braking power. If you like what you have right now, you'll have to pull the pads and read the model number off of them, that's the only way to know what's in there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    And pulling out pads is easy. Just don't clamp down on the brakes without the wheel on. The pads can fuse together and are a position to get back apart.