hipneck
    Jan 2004

removing brake lines form levers....

I need to remove and reinstall my brake lines so my rear brake will be on the left and the front on the right. I cant get the line out of the brake lever. The brakes are low end Shimano hydraulic. Thanks for any help.

ups and downs
    The olive on the hose is likely squashed into the lever side of the fitting. If the compression nut is fully removed then it's just a matter of wiggling the hose until it comes loose.It will almost certainly end up being necessary to cut the hose quite close to the lever and use a new olive and barbed fitting if the original olives are that deformed.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

hipneck
    Jan 2004

I was afraid of that.....

The compression fittng is removed and I was kinda surprised at how tight it was coming out. I didnt try wiggilng back and forth, just pulling straight out. I hope no damage was done to the lever body. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There shouldn't be any damage. A firm tug is what always works for me.

hipneck
    Jan 2004

bump...

I managed to get the brake lines swapped without any problems. Several weeks have past and now one of the levers is leaking from the resevior cap. The brakes are on a Felt 9 Comp and one reviewer wrote that his brakes were recalled by Shimano but didnt say why. How can I find out if my brakes are involved in that recall? Couldnt find anything on the Shimano site. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Find out the model - you never mentioned what "low end" model you have. It is stamped on your brake lever. If it is m485, then this may apply to you.
    Shimano BR-M485 Disc Brakes - Recall of sorts...

If so, take it back to the shop you bought the brake. If you bought it from someone else, then it'll be up to you bike shop if they'll work that out for you or not. In general, Shimano only deals through the shop - in my limited experience.

EDIT - oh wait, your resevior cap is leaking... Did you tighten the cap? It has the rubber gasket between the resevior and the cap, so make sure that's tight enough. That leak is probably due to maintenance issue than a recall issue.

hipneck
    Jan 2004

model is

BR BL 486. I retightened the cap screws and its not leaking now. I guess Im kinda conservative when it comes to tighening bolts / screws. I know from experience what a pain a stripped bolt can be. Thanks