mtbr member

Are the regular non-shadow derailleurs on the way out?

I'm loving my Shadow XT and more and I see more and more bike coming out specced with Shadows of some sort or another. This makes me wonder if Shimanos more traditional (non Shadow) derailleur will soon become a thing of the past.. not that I mind.

What say you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks that way. All about demand I suppose.

mtbr member
    It's a mystery to me why Shimano even bothers to make non-Shadow models anymore.

mtbr member
    Not a big fan of the Shadows myself. I find that the cable anchor is closer to the spokes than I like. On the bikes that I have seen/ridden, I don't see a dramatic improvement over a "traditional" derailuer. Sometimes, Shimano just invents things for the sake of having something "new" or "cutting edge". After all they havre given us such great things as Rapid Rise, XTR bar end shifters, STI dual control mt levers and so on. Some of the gear is great ( I run an XT crank, chain and brakes. Probably will have an XT cassette soon also) but sometimes I just kinda wonder why?
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    The other thing is that bike manufacturers spec the parts that they get the best price/quanity on. If Shimano wants to "force" their latest and greatest on the masses it's easiest to say well we only have sufficient quanities of the shadow style and this is the great price we are willing to give you on them. The big companies are looking to make a buck, in more cases than not, they could prob care less if it's traditional or shadow.

mtbr member
    I agree about the bolt being awfully close to the spokes. I don't like that either.I guess that's the one thing I dislike about the shadow design.

One problem from that bolt is that I cannot leave as much excess cable as I'd generally prefer.

But the spring is much, much stronger, there is no more bother with cable loops, and the derailleur is tucked in where it's a bit better protected.

The stronger spring is what really makes the Shadow a no-brainer for me. The Shadow's spring is what brought be back from the SRAM camp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

shimano criticsi

Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench
    Not a big fan of the Shadows myself. I find that the cable anchor is closer to the spokes than I like. On the bikes that I have seen/ridden, I don't see a dramatic improvement over a "traditional" derailuer. Sometimes, Shimano just invents things for the sake of having something "new" or "cutting edge". After all they havre given us such great things as Rapid Rise, XTR bar end shifters, STI dual control mt levers and so on. Some of the gear is great ( I run an XT crank, chain and brakes. Probably will have an XT cassette soon also) but sometimes I just kinda wonder why?
    There really isn't any so on,and i do agree on the rapid rise (especially)but the shadow design is about clearence when riding past things and more so when falling over. If you put your bike next to one with a shadow(especially if you have sram) the differece in the profile is enormous,especially in the lower gears. Besides having a smaller impact area, most of the deraileur moves in as you down shift,on srams that big knuckle just stays there sticking out. Yesterday , a stick did find it's way right into my chain at the worse possible moment,low gear,while passing another rider in a rocky section. I straightened everything out and it even seemed to be working then the deraileur hanger snapped off,end of ride. I'll see if it realy does survive, but the xt shadows seem to be tough as nails.

mtbr member
    I think that if something is going to rip a rear derail off, it's going to. The few mm you save by tucking that thing closer to the spokes are rarely going to help. I have seen a shadow derail ripped off just as easy as a traditional style. I am for innovation as much as the next person, but this is a tough one to swallow. I think that Shimano will continue to make traditional style rears just for the retro-grouches like me. I still toy with the idea of ditching my x9 derails/triggers and going full XT on my Salsa. Just can't seem to bring myself to drop the coin. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you ride, just that you're out there.

mtbr member
    I don't think it's toooooo close to the wheel. The only thing that I I have an issue with is it catching on the cassette if i'm fitting a wheel in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm surprized road deraileurs arn't switching to shadow's especially timetrail, looks more aero to me,actually durace electric shadow would do away with the cable attachment point,hmmmm.

mtbr member
    IMO the one and only advantage Sram had over the old shimano derailleurs was the lack of housing loop. Shadow fixes that.
    I suppose the cable anchor is kind of close to the spokes, but if your spokes move much closer... something is broken already, and in my experience that sort of thing would take out a conventional derailleur.

Biggest question I have about shadow is it seems like there is an extra pivot (even though it doesn't move normally) to develop slop. I'm guessing XTR at least will keep the 'regular' option, since it's a couple grams lighter. Wouldn't be shocked to see it disappear from XT, since SLX doesn't have the option.