mtbr member

rebuilding Shimano XTR trail wheel

I have a set of the Shimano M988 Trail wheels. I'm thinking of buying a 650b bike this winter. Is there anything special about those hubs that wouldn't allow me to use them on a different rim? I like the wheelset and it'd definitely be cheaper to use a set of hubs I already have.

mtbr member
    I dont own these or have ever seen them in person but from images online it looks like they use straight pull spokes. You can order after market spokes in longer lengths but you need to find out if they will fit your hubs. In the end it may not be worth it and you might need to consider starting from scratch.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. If I decide to buy a new bike I'll most likely have to buy new wheels as I realized that I don't think I'll be able to find 650b rims with the correct spoke count. I'll just sell these wheels and start from scratch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is it easy to find spokes in compatible size? Do you make any mensuraments?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

Plays with tools
    All of the Shimano wheels are 'system built' meaning that the spokes, hubs and rims are fairly proprietary. I won't say that it's impossible to rebuild those hubs into something different but it's going to be a sizable challenge.