Freerider
    Oct 2008

Rear derailleur GS and SGS cage length

Hi,

I got a Deore LX 2007 SGS rear derailleur installed on my bike. For me is the length of the cage just to long and I want to replace it with a 2007 or 2008 XT derailleur with the GS cage. The question is - what is the distance between the axles of the upper and lower cog of the GS type? In the LX 2007 SGS cage it's 10cm. Can someone tell me what the distance between the axles of the GS cage is?

I'm thinking about replacing the derailleur and cassette (if necessary) with road bike components to get the lower line of the chain higher, because this makes me a lot of trouble.

Unfortunatelly I'm living quite away from a professional bike shop and can't do the measurement by my own.

Any info's apprecieated.

Cheers

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisedfist
    Hi,

I got a Deore LX 2007 SGS rear derailleur installed on my bike. For me is the length of the cage just to long and I want to replace it with a 2007 or 2008 XT derailleur with the GS cage. The question is - what is the distance between the axles of the upper and lower cog of the GS type? In the LX 2007 SGS cage it's 10cm. Can someone tell me what the distance between the axles of the GS cage is?

I'm thinking about replacing the derailleur and cassette (if necessary) with road bike components to get the lower line of the chain higher, because this makes me a lot of trouble.

Unfortunatelly I'm living quite away from a professional bike shop and can't do the measurement by my own.

Any info's apprecieated.

Cheers
    you might get away with it with a road cassette, but with a mtn cassette 11/32 or 34 and a 3 ring front, it is not recommended, the deraillier will have a capacity rating
    the lx gs is 33t and sgs is 45t the formula is (big ring -small ring) + (highest cassette gear-lowest cassette gear) so on the lx crankset (3 ring) and a 11/32 cassette its (44t-22t) +(32t-11t) which equals 22t+21t or 43t,
    if you remove the big ring then it becomes 32t-22t + 32t-11t = 11t+21t or 32t, close enough for a sgs
    if you go to a road cassette 11/22 or 12/22 it will also work but you wont be doing much climbing and I believe you need a different deraillier for that range

Freerider
    Oct 2008
    Hey dan0,

thanks for your reply! I just forgot to say, that I'm riding a FR/DH bike. So in the front I use only one 32T chainring with chainguard and the cassette is a 11-32 9speed.

This is exactly why I want to change the rear derailleur - for those kinds of MTB riding a SGS cage isn't a good idea.

Any infos about the GS axle-to-axle distance?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Hey dan0,

thanks for your reply! I just forgot to say, that I'm riding a FR/DH bike. So in the front I use only one 32T chainring with chainguard and the cassette is a 11-32 9speed.

This is exactly why I want to change the rear derailleur - for those kinds of MTB riding a SGS cage isn't a good idea.

Any infos about the GS axle-to-axle distance?
    not on the lx , but on the shadow xt its 3 1/8" or 8cm and on the new Saint shadow its the same
    check this out at CRC its $87 and has an adjustment for mtn & DH cassettes
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=27695
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freerider
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, at last I've found the right gear for me. I'm gonna buy the Saint rear derailleur in the SS version. It also has the 'Mode converter'. Thank You dan0 for your help.

Cheers!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, at last I've found the right gear for me. I'm gonna buy the Saint rear derailleur in the SS version. It also has the 'Mode converter'. Thank You dan0 for your help.

Cheers!

rode mine yesterday, very nice, can definately feel the stronger spring, plus the shadow tucks up out of harms way
    my new favorite, weighed the various shadow versions
    xtr lng cage 180 g xt gs 200g saint gs 220g

Freerider
    Oct 2008
    Good to hear! I'm still looking forward for a reply from a internet shop when the SS cage model will be available. Hopefully I will get it in the middle of december, 'cuase only the GS cage is already available. I will have to be really patient, but I'm sure it will be worth.

What shifter do you use? I got the Deore RapidFire shifter mounted and I'm not quite sure if it will do the job.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Good to hear! I'm still looking forward for a reply from a internet shop when the SS cage model will be available. Hopefully I will get it in the middle of december, 'cuase only the GS cage is already available. I will have to be really patient, but I'm sure it will be worth.

What shifter do you use? I got the Deore RapidFire shifter mounted and I'm not quite sure if it will do the job.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=27695
    available here now

Im using the xtr shifters, really like them

Freerider
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the link! I'm gonna order the derailleur soon.

Still thinking about the shifter. I really like my Deore in spite if it's a cheapo. Should I expect any troubles using the Saint derailleur with Deore shifter? I definitely realize, that the 09 Saint shifter would be a much better (actually THE BEST) choice than my current, but I'm wondering how the Deore will work it out?

Dan0, You seem to be very experienced in MTB gear, so I'm counting on your knowledge once again.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the link! I'm gonna order the derailleur soon.

Still thinking about the shifter. I really like my Deore in spite if it's a cheapo. Should I expect any troubles using the Saint derailleur with Deore shifter? I definitely realize, that the 09 Saint shifter would be a much better (actually THE BEST) choice than my current, but I'm wondering how the Deore will work it out?

Dan0, You seem to be very experienced in MTB gear, so I'm counting on your knowledge once again.
    the deore will work fine, I like the XTR because the finger paddle works both ways and does multiple shifts, and the thumb paddle also does multiple shifts. I just picked up a rear xtr shifter from CRC for $74 for my other bike, but I left the xt for the front

Freerider
    Oct 2008
    I see. I had the Doere shifter in my previous bike mounted which I was riding for 3 years and I just got used to that simple one-time shifting manner. Any extra shifting features are not really neccessary.

Anyway, any of your advices was very helpfull to me and I really appreciate your help.

I will post my opinion as soon as I get the new derailleur, but I'm sure I will really like it!

Thank You very much Dan, and keep it riding!