College Boy

Question about the XTR M960 crank

I am debating about getting the XTR M960 crank set for my bike because I can get it for around $280. I want to know what if any conserns I could be facing going with it. That or should I go with XT 760 or XT770.

Reason I am thinking about the M960 is well it XTR crank so it has a nice bling factor on it and I can get it for about the same price as I can the XT crank set. Just I have my worries that it M960 has issues.

mtbr member
    960 XTR cranks are fine if installed correctly. However, the chainrings have a unique BCD which will be harder to get replacements for than XT.

College Boy
    is it hard to install compared to other cranks?

Don't touch my heiney
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    is it hard to install compared to other cranks?
    No harder than installing the current LX and XT cranksets. I can't imagine it being any easier to install.

College Boy
    I am oh so very torn on trying to deside what to do. I have to choose by friday

mtbr member
    Bought a used one during the winter. I've ridden it quite a bit this season. Previously, I had a Raceface Evolve XC with ISIS bottom bracket. The bottom line? The XTR is way stiffer, way cooler looking, a bit lighter, and far smoother. There's no comparison. I've never regretted my decision to get it. Oh, and as long as you have the BB installation tool (around $10 - 15), installation is very simple. Hope this helps!

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfT
    Bought a used one during the winter. I've ridden it quite a bit this season. Previously, I had a Raceface Evolve XC with ISIS bottom bracket. The bottom line? The XTR is way stiffer, way cooler looking, a bit lighter, and far smoother. There's no comparison. I've never regretted my decision to get it. Oh, and as long as you have the BB installation tool (around $10 - 15), installation is very simple. Hope this helps!
    yeah it does. I going to be ordering the tool along with my crank.
    Debating if I need a crank puller to pull out damaged Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline that the new crank is replacing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    yeah it does. I going to be ordering the tool along with my crank.
    Debating if I need a crank puller to pull out damaged Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline that the new crank is replacing
    Mine came with the tool and the crank in the box from Shimano

mtbr member
    double post...
    Last edited by santacruzer; 08-01-2007 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    If you haven't done it before, Here is a link with all the information you need for installation.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0