mtbr member

Q Factor XTR 2x10, 3x10 and XT 3x10

My new frame requires Q factor of at least 165mm.

I am particularly interested in the 2x10 but was reading that the Q factor was 3mm less on each side. But am not sure what it was in the beginning.

Anyone know the Q factors for the 2011 series?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I couldn't track down these figures either. What I was able to find is that the Q factor of the "race" is 3mm less then the "trail". Just like what you said, except the Q factor of the 2X10 trail (38/26) is wider then the 2X10 "race". Not sure that this helps you, but figured I would throw it out there.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What frame do you have?
    Q factor is the measurement to the outside of the crankarm.....and crank arm thickness varies from one model to another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You might also need to be flexible with your choice of ring sizes as some chain stays do not play well with some of the smaller size chain rings.

mtbr member
    shimano has a gauging tool that goes into your bottom bracket to see if the narrow Q-factor cranks will fit your bike.. its an inexpensive cardboard tool shaped like the cranks... call them, they will probably send you one at no charge.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Titus X Carbon 2010. The frame has not arrived yet so in no hurry to buy the components. Want to make it right.

mtbr member
    Why would q-factor be relevant as far as frame is concerned? Wouldn't bottom brake width be the only crucial measure?

Old school BMXer
    Nope...crank arm to chainstay clearance can be very tight on some frames. So tight that some narrow Q cranks can not be used on some frames.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Ok, I see. But then I should be concerned with inner distance between crank arms, rather than outer--i.e. Q-factor. Am I right?

I mean, crank arms can have different thickness, hence different Q-factor, although their inner distance is the same.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Technically speaking yes the q factor is a measure of the distance between the outside of the cranks, but, smaller q factor must also mean smaller inner width . . . you can't achieve smaller q by just shaving off the outer edge of the cranks, the crank arm is carefully designed for the maximum stiffness with minimal material, it needs to be a certain thickness, therefore narrowing the inner width to achieve it.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land