mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel

Hi all,

I have a set of '08 XT WH-M775 wheels that are a just few weeks old and about ten rides on them.

The rear wheel has some slight lateral play that can be felt by pulling on the rear tire while holding the frame. It is very slight but it's kind of annoying considering it is a brand new wheelset and I'm worried it could develop into something more serious.To be honest I did not check them right after installing them so I'm not sure if they came like that from the factory or it happened after riding. I should mention I do not do jumps or drops, my riding is pretty much standard XC with some technical terrain but nothing too extreme and I'm pretty light at about 68kg. The wheels are on an Ibis Mojo Carbon.

The spokes feel fine with enough tension. I took the hub appart and the cones on the axle are tight and well adjusted and I cannot feel any play on the axle itself. I even tightend the cones to the point where the bearings would not spin freely anymore and put the wheel back on the bike (of course I did not ride it like that) but I could still feel the wiggle when pulling on the tire. I even tried a different QR from another wheel without any better luck.

The cassette body does seem to have a very slight play in it, so I'm thinking that could be the culprit, I haven't been able to take it off from the hub since I don't have a 14mm allen key, but I'm going to buy one and try that next. I tried moving the hollow bolt that secures the freehub body to the hub with my fingers but it didn't move.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or does anybody have any other ideas?
    If somebody owns one of these wheelsets, can you please check your rear wheel for lateral play?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    are you sure it's not play in the suspension (assuming you have a dualie). Install the rear wheel on another bike to see if it still has the same play to test.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wheels aren't very complicated and there's not much that can wiggle in them. You've eliminated the spokes because you've said there's proper tension. All you have left is the axle in the hubs. You've already tried moving the hollow nut which is directly connected to the axle and you say there was no play. And oh oops, that's it. You've found out there's nothing wrong with your wheels.

If you must know, there's zero play in my set.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    are you sure it's not play in the suspension (assuming you have a dualie). Install the rear wheel on another bike to see if it still has the same play to test.
    Yup, I've alredy swaped the wheel with another bike and the XT wiggles on the other bike as well, and the mojo feels solid with the other bike's wheel so the problem is definitely with the WH-M775.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhorse
    Wheels aren't very complicated and there's not much that can wiggle in them. You've eliminated the spokes because you've said there's proper tension. All you have left is the axle in the hubs. You've already tried moving the hollow nut which is directly connected to the axle and you say there was no play. And oh oops, that's it. You've found out there's nothing wrong with your wheels.

If you must know, there's zero play in my set.
    Definitely something wrong with the wheel, if there was nothing wrong with it, then it should have zero play just like yours.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    same problem. Its an issue that Shimano knows about. They are replacing my rear hub as we speak. After months of working on it, it finally locked up on me in the middle of a ride. The bearings in there are junk. Take it to where you bought it and have Shimano replace it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fixed

Finally got a 14mm allen last friday, turns out the freehub body was loose after all, tightened it all the way in, re-adjusted the bearings and all seems good now, did a 70km ride on saturday and about 20km today without issues.

So it seems like Shimano is doing a bad job of assembling these wheelsets at the factory.

Thanks for all that posted suggestions and hopefully this thread will help others with a similar problem.

ups and downs
    That happened with some of the early XTR hubs as well, the freewheel bolt backed out and eventually jammed the freehub/hub. My LBS repaired some of those. It was likely a bad batch of thread locker or the thread lock dispenser ran out on the production line. Hi ho, that's what warranties are for.

Underweight Rider
    When i got my xt-779, both wheel dish was waaay off on my 08 heckler and the front had some play, retune both wheels and readjusted the front shaft clearance and had been doin well ever since..... great products - assembly QC need some improvements.
    And i just found out those XT-776 are made in my home country Malaysia , assembly QC DEFINATELY need to buck up.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyderman
    Finally got a 14mm allen last friday, turns out the freehub body was loose after all, tightened it all the way in, re-adjusted the bearings and all seems good now, did a 70km ride on saturday and about 20km today without issues.

So it seems like Shimano is doing a bad job of assembling these wheelsets at the factory.

Thanks for all that posted suggestions and hopefully this thread will help others with a similar problem.
    Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but FWIW I had the exact same problem and solution. Lateral play that couldn't be adjusted out with the cones. After disassembly, one turn of at 14 mm allowed for adjustment as normal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had play on my xt 775 rear wheel. i noticed the back end of the bike was getting twitchy while riding. i found one side of the axle cone and nut loose a little (forget which side). when i pulled it apart to check the free hub which was tight, i noticed the non drive side plastic bearing holder had one bearing missing. the other side had room for 2 more bearings. shimano says that there are 20 pieces on their parts diagram, but when i counted them there was 21 bearings.if you count the bearings in the diagram there are 24. has anyone checked their bearing? i bought some bearings and put them in and re fitted the comes and there is no play and they run smooth. seems odd that they would have empty gaps.

Scott is a tool.
    I had the same issue, also fixed by tightening the freehub body, would have fixed it a lot earlier if it wasn't such a massive hex bolt thingo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, Ive got the same lateral play in my rear wheel, it is definately something to do with the freehub. But the guys at the shop said it could be normal, and it might be a waste of time sending it back to shimano on the warranty.

Tell me this isnt true please......

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by barnyb
    Hi, Ive got the same lateral play in my rear wheel, it is definately something to do with the freehub. But the guys at the shop said it could be normal, and it might be a waste of time sending it back to shimano on the warranty.

Tell me this isnt true please......
    Here is how you can check.

Put the wheel back in the frame and tighten the QR as you normally would.

With one hand on the seatstay and one on the top of the wheel, try to rock the wheel back and forth and see if you can feel any play.

If you have no play when you do this, but you can feel a little bit of play when wiggling the cassette back and forth, you are probably OK, as long as your freehub body is not making any other strange noises or exhibiting any other odd behavior such as skipping or locking up.

If you feel play when you are rocking the wheel back and forth, then there are two likely culprits. The first is that the bearings are out of adjustment and need to be tightened. The second is that the freehub body fixing bolt has loosened up.

If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the wheel, cassette, and rotor to make the bearing adjustment, you might as well pull the entire axle and check the tightness of the bolt. If you can loosen it easily, you should pull it all the way out, degrease it, and add a little blue Loctite before reinstalling it.

If it is loose, and you don't have some Loctite on there, it is likely to loosen again, even when tightened to the proper torque spec. Riding with this bolt loose can lead to the aluminum threads inside the hub shell stripping out.

Note that you'll need a 14mm Allen wrench, which is a BIG wrench. It's not so much for the torque, but the aluminum axle needs the clearance to pass through the bolt.

Hope this helps.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel-2009_04_19_xt_fhbodyremoval_08_resize.jpg  

Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel-2009_04_19_xt_fhbodyremoval_13_resize.jpg  

Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel-2009_04_19_xt_fhbodyremoval_14_resize.jpg  

Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel-2009_04_19_xt_fhbodyremoval_15_resize.jpg  

Problem with XT WH-M775 wheelset - lateral play in rear wheel-2009_04_19_xt_fhbodyremoval_16_resize.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've got the same problem with my XT wheels. I bought them in sep-08 and now suddenly (after roughly 1000km ridden) my rear wheel developed a lot of play (and i mean from one day to the next).

I took it to my LBS and they say the free body is done and i need to buy a new wheel.

I'm sending it back to Shimano to see if it can be fixed or exchanged under warranty. If not i am surely not going to buy shimano wheels again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A new XT freehub body is like a $35 part. Unless you damaged the actual hub (which I doubt).

Call Shimano up, maybe they will just send you a new freehub body since there have been known issues.