mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Problem with my 2011 xtr chain snapping

So I finally built my bike up on friday and took it out for it's maiden voyage today. It was fine for the first 5 miles, then the chain snapped, I popped two links in and set of again lightly spinning up a hill, snaps again, so I preplace two more links in the chain and it snaps again, in total 4 times within a mile, and every time i replace the snapped link and the one adjacent to it.

Any idea why?

ups and downs
    When you say snapping, do you mean that you are physically breaking the link plates or is the pin being pulled out of the link plates? Is it breaking where the chain is joined or a new place every time? Do you have the chain correctly installed with the asymmetrical inner/outer plates correctly oriented?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The pins keep coming out and the plates bending, everytime it happens, i replace the bent link and the one next to it as it seems to also be weakend.

the chain is on the correct way around too.

ups and downs
    The rest of the drivetrain is all 10 speed Dyna Sys XTR?

Bent sprocket teeth or shifting under heavy load are about the only two things that can bend a plate and pry the plates apart. FD has enough clearance to the chainrings that the chain isn't jamming during front shifts?

Any bent teeth on the cassette or chainrings?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Rub it............
    You are using new pins to reassemble the chain, right? Or are you trying to re-use the original pins that you pushed out?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    New pins, used all the time, brand new full 2011 xtr drivetrain, everytime it snapped, it had already been in the gear for 10 mins or so, then just snapped. it's odd, i'm going to try an xt one, without the hollowpins.

mtbr member
    are you using a connecting pin when you reinstall the chain. if you are reusing the existing one, the chain will not be as strong

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi,

Same thing happened to me today. I used this chain about 8 hours in total .

My set up is 2x10 XTR (2011 model) including the chain. It happened under heavy load, I anticipated this chain to be more reliable. I think I will shift for a SRAM in order to take advantage of the quick link !

Pierre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vttix View Post
    Hi,

Same thing happened to me today. I used this chain about 8 hours in total .

My set up is 2x10 XTR (2011 model) including the chain. It happened under heavy load, I anticipated this chain to be more reliable. I think I will shift for a SRAM in order to take advantage of the quick link !

Pierre
    how will the quick link fix anything?
    if the chain breaks, you'll still need a chain tool to get both ends to be inner links so that you can attach the quick link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You carry 4 new chain pins with you on every ride? Are you using a genuine Shimano 10 speed chain tool? Are you using 10 speed chain pins? Shimano chains and pins require you to use a Shimano chain tool. Other brand tools can damage/enlarge the side plates. If the holes are damaged the pins will never keep the chain together. After you install a pin and break off the tapered alignment piece, never bend the chain at the connection to loosen the link. Always move it up and down. I have 3 Shimano chain tools, one for 8 speed, 9 speed and 10 speed. Try running a Conex master link instead of the chain pins. Makes cleaning a breeze too.