Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Powerlink on a Dyna-Sys 10sp chain?

Has anyone used a sram powerlink or other chain removable links on their dyna-sys 10 speed chain?

It would be much more convenient to be able to run a removable link for assembly/dissasembly and trailside repair.

ups and downs
    Because the plate shaping on the Dyna-Sys chain is unique on the inside and outside plates it's very likely that you'll be introducing a random shift error or glitch.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sure, I know thats the official word from shimano, but plenty of these things work together just fine without official compatibility, such as how the 9sp sram powerlink is supposedly only compatible with 9sp sram chains, but works fine with shimano 9sp chains.

So I wanted to see if anyone had tried it to see how it works.

...idios...
    KMC manufacture some Shimano chains (below XT level), as well as those sold under their own brand, so it's quite likely that they'll produce a Dyna-Sys compatible chain. They use their own version of a Powerlink - called a Missing Link - rather than joining pins on their current 7/8 and 9 speed chains, so I presume that they'd do the same on a Dyna-Sys chain. Conjecture, of course, you understand; but somewhat logical.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good to know, I didnt know that KMC made the lower end shimano chains.

Does anyone know what the width of the dyna-sys chain is? KMC makes a 5.9mm missing link for 10 speed roadie chains.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The SRAM "link" is actually non-removable, it's called a "powerlock" not powerlink for ten speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah I saw that, I ordered the KMC version and Ill see how it works.
    (interestingly, the kmc and sram 10sp links look identical)

siv
    mtbr member
    Would like to know how the chain worked out. Broke my Shimano chain second ride out, in the granny gear. Im actually afraid to put the hammer down or mash the pedals now. Havent broken a chain in 4 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the KMC link fits and snaps the chain together off the bike, but I havent installed the 10sp drivetrain yet so I dont have anything to test it on a bike yet. Since the shimano mtb and road 10sp cog spacing is the same I would hypothesise that it will work fine.

mtbr member
    I'm running the X10SL KMC gold chain with my XT 1x10 setup. Loving it and shifts just like the original chain.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I'm running the KMC Missing Link for Shimano 10 speeds without an issue. Running a 1x10 set-up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Currently "testing" a wipperman link and after todays clean up a Sram Powerlink on the Ultegra chain that my LBS replaced after the original chain broke after about 200km in the 24hr Solo Worlds (but this was prob my fault as it was not lubed after 50km on a very dry and dusty course)
    However I am not really impressed with 10 speed so far as I have broken only one chain in the previous 10 years riding…we will see how it goes...

mtbr member
    Running a KMC missing link for Shimano 10 speed on a 3x10 set up for a couple of hundred miles in some very horrible conditions with no problems to date

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah ive been running the KMC 10s link in some heavy riding and it has held up great. Definately the way to go.

I broke the 10sp chain once, because I tried to re-use a pin on the trail. Definite no-no. Once I put in the KMC 10s its been flawless.

siv
    mtbr member
    Which KMC are you guys using? Im kinda cheap and their X chains look kinda pricey. Ive broken my Shimano twice now and defenitely want something different though.

mtbr member
    So are you guys using the KMC missing link with Shimano chains or with KMC chains?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the rat
    So are you guys using the KMC missing link with Shimano chains or with KMC chains?
    Both.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    shimano chains. works fine
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tegski
    Currently "testing" a wipperman link and after todays clean up a Sram Powerlink on the Ultegra chain that my LBS replaced after the original chain broke after about 200km in the 24hr Solo Worlds (but this was prob my fault as it was not lubed after 50km on a very dry and dusty course)
    However I am not really impressed with 10 speed so far as I have broken only one chain in the previous 10 years riding…we will see how it goes...
    Have now used this set up for about 800km offroad with no problems at all. I would recommend the Wipperman link and the Sram link as suitable (the wipperman is the only one that can come apart for cleaning though)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    kmc comes apart and is considerably cheaper than wipperman
    The mountains are calling and I must go

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    I too can confirm that KMC missing link works fine. Make sure it's the 10 speed version of missing link. It is reusable. No problems so far on my DynaSys XT level Cn-hg94.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cheers - will be looking at the KMC next time, but lbs did not have anything 10 speed except the Wipperman - and I had sticker shock at the time
    (Seems to be not much 10 speed bits in stock here - must be all at the bike factories!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Upset dyna-sys chain failure

Today I blew up my dyna-sys XT chain going down hill? yup. After ten minutes trying to force the sram 10spd powerLOCK link on the shimano chain I gave up. The dyna-sys chain seems to be a TINY bit wider then my mountain bike chain is.

XT chain dead in two rides. Shimano has let me down again.

3x10 complete XT all current 2011 equipment. I will hunt down a KMC link now.

mtbr member
    Yeah, go with the KMC link. The sram one is stupid - you can only use it one time. The KMC you can "break" the chain with any time you want to.

I've found the KMC chain to be really good. It shifts great and wears for a long time.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    my KMC link is a week away, have you had any luck getting the SRAM link to work on a Shimano Dyna-Sys chain?

You have again confirmed what I have heard other conversations, KMC chains are the way to go. Anyone used a 10spd KMC chain on a full Dyna-Sys system?

I would also consider a SRAM chain, they have been great in my experience although I haven't tried those chains on Dyna-Sys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast