mtbr member
    Nov 2009

pedal upgrade, whats the smart buy

i enjoy shimanos pedals even though i have the lower end model 520's on my epic and road bike, and i have a pair of not so good 505's on my hardtail winter type bike. 505's seem much hard to get in and out of not matter where the tension is set. the 520's click in and out super easy without even thinking about it.

I am buying a new bike and it doesn't come with pedals on it. I wanted to know what the differences are between the pedals. it seems the 520 can't be serviced but anything above that can. the 540 seems to be a great price and I could later get titanium spindles that would get the weight right at the xtr for half the cost. do the xt or xtr pedals come with better bearings than the 540? is there any other difference that would make the xt or xtr models better that I am missing

I have heard some reviewers talk about pedal stiffness. is this really a concern? I haven't noticed my current ones being flexy but it might be because I have never used a really nice set yet.

thanks,
    adam

Workin for the weekend!
    XT trail seem pretty rugged, the extra cage has been helpful in rock gardens. The cost is a big plus too. My buddy swears by the XTR race pedals, they've never let him down either... I've used 520's as well, they got loose quick and the plastic parts seemed a little cheap.

My $.02
    Todd

mtbr member

pedal upgrade, whats the smart buy

I ride XT trails on all my bikes and think they are the best mix of durability weight and function even over the XTR trails