Thread: Pedal Question

too cold to ride

Pedal Question

I have PD-M520-L pedals (w/plastic platforms) on my rig (came stock). I'm not ready to switch to clipless yet, and am having issues with these.

When I come off the pedals (usually at the 12 and 6:00 positions), It seems that due to weight (of the plastic platforms), the platforms will always spin around to the bottom of the pedal, meaning I have to move them back up to the top to get going again. It's a pain in the neck and a real momentum breaker.

I know there is a simple, common-sense solution to this that I haven't found yet. Other than advice to switch to clipless, what is the best way to eliminate this frustration?

The pedals w/o the platforms: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...-L.-type-.html
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

bi-winning
    If you are not ready to ride clipless, take the clipless pedals off your bike, and install some real flat pedals. They don't need to be expensive, and will serve you much better than clipless pedals with plastic clip in platforms.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would just go for the clipless...wear a pair of gloves and click both feet out before you stop....remember heel out and down, heel up locks you in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    If you are not ready to ride clipless, take the clipless pedals off your bike, and install some real flat pedals. They don't need to be expensive, and will serve you much better than clipless pedals with plastic clip in platforms.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can any one please tell me what pedals would work with my Canondale Badboy Ultra. I realy want to stay around the 60.00 to 80.00 range, gonna need MTB shoes also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy larry
    Can any one please tell me what pedals would work with my Canondale Badboy Ultra. I realy want to stay around the 60.00 to 80.00 range, gonna need MTB shoes also.
    According to C'Dale web site, you have Shimano FC-M470 Hollowtech crankset, so any Shimano (and almost any other mfg) pedals will fit just fine. Do you want clipless or flat pedals?

I can't comment on flats (I never use them). I would go get M540 that's about $50 on line. If you must spend more, get XT which is about $70. M540 is my favorite, it's light enough, very durable (no plastic rotational/torqued/threaded parts, unlike M520), and easily serviceable.

To take on/off pedals, refer to Park Tools web site.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I have PD-M520-L pedals (w/plastic platforms) on my rig (came stock). I'm not ready to switch to clipless yet, and am having issues with these.

When I come off the pedals (usually at the 12 and 6:00 positions), It seems that due to weight (of the plastic platforms), the platforms will always spin around to the bottom of the pedal, meaning I have to move them back up to the top to get going again. It's a pain in the neck and a real momentum breaker.

I know there is a simple, common-sense solution to this that I haven't found yet. Other than advice to switch to clipless, what is the best way to eliminate this frustration?

The pedals w/o the platforms: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...-L.-type-.html
    The VP brand platform pedals are very nice and very cheap. I regularly buy them for less than $20 including shipping on ebay. You could sell the 520s and come out ahead, plus if you went with the lightweight VPs your bike would actually be lighter.

too cold to ride
    ^^Good advice- I think I'm going to keep the Shimano pedals for when I'm ready to switch, and get something cheap in the meantime. It looks like cheap platforms can be had from a bunch of places. Those VP Beartraps look really sweet.

Those Tioga spiderweb pedals look really cool, but are priced ridiculously.

Since the Shimano pedals are mechanically the same on both sides (of the individual pedal), I may be able to buy another pair of the platforms and just snap them on (so that each pedal has two platforms, one on each side). I tried this last night w/o success, but only for a few minutes (I was frustrated because I forgot how to get the platforms off). I'll give it another spin tomorrow after my ride.

EDIT- just got the beartrap variety in blue- just too sweet to pass up- $14 shipped. I have a feeling they'll do just fine until I'm ready to clip. It's too late in the year to be learning new things- we'll see how spring goes.
    Last edited by BigSharks; 11-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.