Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

PD-M985 Pedal issues

Just picked up a pair of the new PD-M985 trail pedals and love them.
    But after only a couple of rides have found that the bearing seem to already be contaminated. I only noticed this because of a bit of grease being "pushed" out onto the spindle. After cleaning it up BOTH pedals are a bit "crunchy". Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this issue?
    I've owned many shimano clipless pedals thru the years and haven't notice this on any of them (but they do develop a bit of play but nothing like this). Just a heads up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seals and ALL of the grease blew out first time I rode mine, ~1hr ride. Thought it was strange so I called Shimano and they said send them back. They sent me a new pair which have been golden for several months now.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    So it looks like I'm not the only one with these bad seal's. I'll contact Shimano myself and give another pair a try. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Same problem here. The pedals have less than 100 miles on them and there is considerable play in them and the bearings on both are crunchy. Never ridden them in the wet or submerged them. Will contact Shimano and see what they have to say.

This is my first set of "expensive" pedals, I have until now used Wellgo MG-18 which last me a few years before they are worn out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My old 970 XTRs spin very free. New 980 XTRs spin with a drag after several rides.

mtbr member

Shimano SPD Pedals

I have the 959s and the new XTR trail pedals.

I have used my 959s for almost 3 years....I swapped the new XTR trail pedals on my TXO which I have been using for almost 3 months.

I prefer the 959s.... but I think the same has been discontinued by the big "S"...

Sad indeed....The 959s are almost indestructible...IMHO

mtbr member
    I had the same problem as above , took them apart & repacked with new grease as Slowly put back on the axel so the seals dont pop out. All ok now

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Shimano replaced mine with a new set and the bearings seem to be holding up so far, just a tiny amount of play has developed and it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Same thing for my set. Started having heaps of side play after the grease started coming out and I sent them back to my LBS. Coming 2 months not but no news yet

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Same issue's with my 980's, they lasted about 5 months. Sent them back to Shimano and had a new pair about 5 days later. Only three rides on them but no problems so far.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Returned mine

I contacted Shimano and they said they hadn't heard about any M985 bearing issues (isn't that what they always say). He said to return them to LBS ( which I did) and got a new pair.

The new pedals have also been spewing a little grease from around the spindle area but so far they haven't developed any of the contamination/play issues. Still digging the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I take back my last post, grease all over the place after todays ride. Loose and crunchy once again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    To add my $.02, I have had the same problem with the dust seal blowing out on my Shimano XTR M985's. The LBS has already replaced them, but after another 2 weeks of riding, the new ones have blown out again. LBS is sending them off again. They are awesome pedals when they are sealed and working well, but I'll be on my 3rd set of these. I don't trust them enough to keep them without something better than 'here is a new pair of the same'. Anybody had any luck resolving the issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am on my third pair as well since February. My newest set I received two weeks ago, and they are starting to blow the grease out yet again. As far as a fix goes I'm just going to ride out the two year warranty then get some eggbeaters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    As an update...
    I just dropped off the 3rd set of pedals at the LBS for another set of blown seals. BUT this time, the LBS says that Shimano has acknowledged that they are having an issue and are sending new axle assemblies that are supposed to resolve the issue. I hope they fix the problem because I like the pedals otherwise. New parts should be in sometime next week. I'll post again after I get the new ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jason300b View Post
    As an update...
    I just dropped off the 3rd set of pedals at the LBS for another set of blown seals. BUT this time, the LBS says that Shimano has acknowledged that they are having an issue and are sending new axle assemblies that are supposed to resolve the issue. I hope they fix the problem because I like the pedals otherwise. New parts should be in sometime next week. I'll post again after I get the new ones.

Did you get your pedals back yet? I am waiting for mine to return and hoping they fixed them. I love the pedals so I don't plan to give up on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had one actually break. The threaded end of the axle broke in the lock nut and the pedal body fell off the axle. There's a thread about it here:
    XTR Trail pedal failure

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sorry it took me a while update this...but, the new axle seal seems to be holding up. I've only had a few rides so far, but everything is still sealed. The new dust seal sits inside the pedal a little more (like 2 mm or maybe a little bit less...it is harder to see now that it is recessed, but it is still there). Having said that, I am in Colorado and haven't had a ton of riding time since its been cold and snowy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I noticed yesterday that my replacement pair have blown the seal on the right pedal and there is a lot of play. Back to the LBS!

mtbr member
    That sucks. I wanted to get these pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Shimano is sending another replacement set. This pair had only 100 miles or so on them, I am considering just ebaying the replacements as I am not all that confident in them. Does anyone know if there have been similar issues with the newer XT level pedals?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I think I figured out the seal issue last night. Shimano lowered the stack height on the new 980 pedals compared to older versions, lower profile means that the sidewall of the seal must have got shorter (assuming axle diameter has stayed the same). I am guessing that as the pedal wears in and play starts to develop the seal is not able to flex enough to maintain the seal with the axle and therefore grease is able to weep out and crap can get in. With enough play in the pedal the seal may even be pinched up enough to start getting dragged out of the pedal body which is what I suspect happened to mine.

I will be putting this replacement set up for sale and picking up a new set of the old 970 pedals which seem to be bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Need to service my m985s the seals have come out and the right hand pedal has play in it and isnt spinning smoothly. Never stripped a Shimano pedal before which way is the thread on the gold nut. Is it righty tighty lefty loosey on both pedals or is one of the pedals a left hand thread.

Not at all impressed only 4 months of use and need a service might go back to my old battered never touched but still spinning after 5 years Time Aliums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stubs View Post
    Need to service my m985s the seals have come out and the right hand pedal has play in it and isnt spinning smoothly. Never stripped a Shimano pedal before which way is the thread on the gold nut. Is it righty tighty lefty loosey on both pedals or is one of the pedals a left hand thread.

Not at all impressed only 4 months of use and need a service might go back to my old battered never touched but still spinning after 5 years Time Aliums.
    Try calling Shimano...they'll likely send you a new set. I've had good luck in the past with the Shimano people on the phone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman55 View Post
    Try calling Shimano...they'll likely send you a new set. I've had good luck in the past with the Shimano people on the phone.
    Thanks will try that route before I get the toolbox open and invalidate my warranty. Cant believe how little use they have had before the problems set in. Havent got exact numbers but probably not much more than 500 miles though admittedly the weather has been wet, gritty and muddy or icy every ride since I got them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast